Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

How to create an tracked, ellipse mask.

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

burn4ever

How to create an tracked, ellipse mask.

PostSun Jul 18, 2021 5:14 pm

Hey guys,
this is my first take in fusion, normally I tried everything with masking at the color page ;-)
I shot an flipping coin in front off black and want key/mask the black canvas behind the coin.

What I try to do in fusion is creating a animated, ellipse mask first and than use the Lumar Keyer, like in this video:

Does anybody know any source like video etc. how to create an animated, ellipse-mask in Fusion?
Btw.: The reason I need the mask is that I have more information than die black canvas in the background.

UserNoah

Re: How to create an tracked, ellipse mask.

PostSun Jul 18, 2021 5:31 pm

I'd suggest the official Blackmagic guide to visual effects. It covers most of the basic things including Tracking in Fusion.

But the short version is:

Take a tracker node and track the features that you want.
Then create an ellipse mask and right click on the center and choose Tracker1 > unsteady Position.
(As Bryan mentioned later, unsteady Position will locate the center at 0.5, which most likely won't work for the ellipse. Using the trackers path is the correct way.)

Another and one of the best resources for Fusion basics (and advanced techniques) is Bryan Rays blog. This post also covers tracking:
http://www.bryanray.name/wordpress/blac ... -tracking/
Last edited by UserNoah on Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

burn4ever

PostSun Jul 18, 2021 5:36 pm

Thanks a lot!

UserNoah wrote:I'd suggest the official Blackmagic guide to visual effects. It covers most of the basic things including Tracking in Fusion.

But the short version is:

Take a tracker node and track the features that you want.
Then create an ellipse mask and right click on the center and choose Tracker1 > unsteady Position.

Another and one of the best resources for Fusion basics (and advanced techniques) is Bryan Rays blog. This post also covers tracking:
http://www.bryanray.name/wordpress/blac ... -tracking/

Bryan Ray

PostSun Jul 18, 2021 5:36 pm

Unsteady Position will displace the Center from the center of the screen instead of locating it at the tracker's position. You want to Connect To > Tracker# > Tracker 1: Offset Position. That will grab the actual location of the tracker.

edit: And if you need to make tweaks to the position, you can animate the X Offset and Y Offset controls in the Tracker node to make adjustments. I find that when tracking something like a coin, the center will drift around a little.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

UserNoah

PostSun Jul 18, 2021 9:20 pm

Bryan Ray wrote:Unsteady Position will displace the Center from the center of the screen instead of locating it at the tracker's position. You want to Connect To > Tracker# > Tracker 1: Offset Position. That will grab the actual location of the tracker.

edit: And if you need to make tweaks to the position, you can animate the X Offset and Y Offset controls in the Tracker node to make adjustments. I find that when tracking something like a coin, the center will drift around a little.
Whoops! Thanks for catching it. Yep, unsteady position doesn't work for ellipse. I think my mind was at the polygon mask.

burn4ever

PostTue Jul 20, 2021 7:47 pm

Okay guys,
I tried it more than an hour but I didn´t make it.

If I put the Ellipse Node before MediaIn1 than I have an Mask, but when I put the Tracker between this two Nodes the Mask is not following the tracker.
If I put the Tracker after MediaIn1 an connect the Ellipse to the Tracker than the Ellipse follows the Tracker (Operation: Match Move) but it´s not a Mask.

So how can I make the Ellipse become an mask again?

burn4ever

PostTue Jul 20, 2021 8:12 pm

Okay, got it :-)
Now I understand what you guys said before.

I simply disconnect the tracker from the Tree and then connect the Ellipse in the Inspector with right click on the Word Center.

Return to Fusion