Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

copy/paste text shading in Fusion?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Scotty Why

copy/paste text shading in Fusion?

PostWed Jul 21, 2021 5:09 pm

I know you can copy/paste attributes on the timeline. How do you do it in Fusion?

Example: I have a shape with a gradient. I have some text and I want to match the gradient of the shape. I know there must be an easy way to just copy the colors from the gradient and paste it into the text but I haven't found it yet.
DR Studio 18 Win10 22H2
11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900K @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM
GTX 1660 Super 6GB, Studio driver 31.0.15.3161
OS,Program: 1TB SSD - Media: 1TB SSD - Cache: 1TB SSD

Sander de Regt

Re: copy/paste text shading in Fusion?

PostWed Jul 21, 2021 6:21 pm

Since a lot of Fusion tools have lots of attributes it's not always self explanitory what would copy to what if you'd try to copy/paste something.

In tools that are similar to each other it can be quite convenient, say you have a merge tool with an animated size, position and angle, you can copy the merge and then in Fusion select 'paste settings' on for example a transform tool and it will transfer all items that are equivalent to each other.

In your case I'm not sure what your situation is. If you say a shape with a gradient how did you create that? Did you use the shape tools or did you use a masked gradient background?

If it's the latter you can right-click on your gradient, select publish, go to the shading tab of your text tool select 'gradient' under 'type' and then right-click and select 'connect to --> the gradient of your BG tool'

You can also decide to set the type to 'image' and use the shape as a fill for your text etc etc

There are many ways to achieve things in Fusion, so it kind of depends on your specific situation.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Scotty Why

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 1:36 am

Sander de Regt wrote:If it's the latter you can right-click on your gradient, select publish, go to the shading tab of your text tool select 'gradient' under 'type' and then right-click and select 'connect to --> the gradient of your BG tool'

This worked. Thanks. I never would have figured out what "publish" is for.

For my education... If I wanted use your other method and use the shape as the fill, how do I tell it to use the shape node? I see you can set the source to "tool" but then how do I tell it which tool to use?
DR Studio 18 Win10 22H2
11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900K @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM
GTX 1660 Super 6GB, Studio driver 31.0.15.3161
OS,Program: 1TB SSD - Media: 1TB SSD - Cache: 1TB SSD

Sander de Regt

PostFri Jul 23, 2021 7:33 am

Just drag the tool into the field and it will create the link.

Glad I could help.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Return to Fusion