Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

how can i get around timespeed-delay-negative values?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Rick van den Berg

how can i get around timespeed-delay-negative values?

PostFri Jul 30, 2021 8:48 am

i have a simple setup with a png sequence. I split it up in half, using a timespeed node with a delay on one half, so it starts a little later, and merged them together for a funny effect.

but it doesn't want to render, the timespeed node colors red. this timespeed node has a delay of 15,3 and the render works from frame 16. I think it is referring to files from the image sequence that don't exist. so it makes sense. but how can i get around it?

I really want to use this timespeed effect, because i can get half/floating values, getting that "blend" effect, which adds to the effect i'm after, instead copying the loader, using the "hold first frame" option

edit: using the timestretcher node with the expression "time - 15.3" gives the same effect, maybe i can add something to that expression to "crop/fit" it when it reaches values below 0?

Frank Feijen

Re: how can i get around timespeed-delay-negative values?

PostFri Jul 30, 2021 10:47 am

And what if you'd merge it over a transparent background (after the timespeed), and render that merge?

Bryan Ray

Re: how can i get around timespeed-delay-negative values?

PostFri Jul 30, 2021 4:35 pm

A Merge may not work because the Foreground will still fail. Use a Dissolve instead. The way Dissolve works is if one input fails, it automatically switches to the other. So you'd put your black/no alpha Background in the Background input and your delayed sequence in the Foreground, then set the Mix slider to 1.0 (full Foreground). As long as Foreground doesn't exist, it fails back to the empty Background. As soon as the Foreground is valid, it will switch to displaying that instead.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Return to Fusion