Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

2D Character Animation

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

GlueFactoryBJJ

2D Character Animation

PostWed Aug 04, 2021 6:01 am

I've been using DaVinci Resolve Studio since 2018, mostly for personal/family videos, you know, video editing, etc, with a few commercial/trade jobs thrown in. Lately I've been wanting to branch out a bit to do some animation to incorporate into my videos to add a little bit of extra "oomph" to my skill set and give some new options for video.

I've checked out some commercial (vector) animation products, and they are pretty good, but since this is mostly for me, my budget is more limited. And, since many of them require subscriptions (the reason I initially started to look to dump Adobe after over 10 years), I thought of trying to utilize what I already had... i.e. Fusion in DaVinci Resolve.

My questions are:

1. Can Fusion realistically do 2D character animation?
2. If Fusion can't really do 2D character animation, can Fusion do 3D animation without the learning curve of, say, Blender?
3. If Fusion CAN do 2D character animation, where can I find resources that might help me get started using Fusion for 2D animation?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Scott

PS. From what I've seen, it looks like a game development product like Spine ($69 for the base product) would be great for animating characters in Fusion... IF Fusion can read and understand the Spine output files.
Hardware: ASUS Crosshair VIII, AMD 3950X, Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti, 64GB RAM, 2TB m.2 SSD, 2TB (4x500GB) SSDs, 36TB NAS
Software: Win10 Pro, DR Studio 17.3, Reaper, Affinity Photo & Designer, Skylum Luminar/Aurora HDR, OBS
Adobe free since 2018!

Sander de Regt

Re: 2D Character Animation

PostWed Aug 04, 2021 9:42 am

The short answer to basically all your questions is: no.
You can import FBX and Alembic into Fusion i.e. stuff you've animated in other programs, but from what you describe (and taking your budget into account) Blender Grease Pencil is the way to go for you.

This does have a bit of a learning curve, but it's free and there are a ton of tutorials for it, so compared to other free or cheap software it will be easier to learn.

It also has the advantage of combining 2D and 3D in one package, so you can use the bone system of Blender to animate your 2D stuff. It really is the best of both worlds for that budget and your current skill level.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Hendrik Proosa

Re: 2D Character Animation

PostWed Aug 04, 2021 12:48 pm

2d animation in motion graphics style is essentially moving some shapes so with reservations it is doable. What might get complicated is if you want to do some kind of rigging that involves more than linear forward kinematics (which in its bare form is a bunch of merges and transforms).

If by 2d animation you mean something more in line with traditional drawn animation or something like grease pencil work in Blender, it will be difficult I think.
I do stuff.

Return to Fusion