Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Color grading individually clips from Fusion composition

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

SebastiaM

Color grading individually clips from Fusion composition

PostWed Aug 11, 2021 6:26 pm

Hi,

I made a fusion composition with two clips but I added the second one later. So now when I choose 'open in timeline', it just appears the first clip.

I want to grade both clips individually. How could have them both in timeline?

Hope it makes sense...

TheBloke

Re: Color grading individually clips from Fusion composition

PostWed Aug 11, 2021 7:18 pm

SebastiaM wrote:Hi,

I made a fusion composition with two clips but I added the second one later. So now when I choose 'open in timeline', it just appears the first clip.

I want to grade both clips individually. How could have them both in timeline?

Hope it makes sense...
Could you show a screenshot showing your two clips. It's not clear to me what you've done.

If you have a Fusion Clip with two clips in it, you should definitely be able to Open In Timeline on the Fusion Clip and then grade the clips individually.
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

SebastiaM

PostWed Aug 11, 2021 8:06 pm

Yes, of course.

First picture is my main timeline:

Second picture is my fusion clip in its timeline (it seems that there are two clips but it's the same chopped up).

Third picture is node structure from Fusion page (where you can see that there are two mediaIn, corresponding to the two clips.

screenshotResolveFusion.png
screenshotResolveFusion.png (397.44 KiB) Viewed 7223 times

What am I doing wrong? :roll:

TheBloke

PostWed Aug 11, 2021 8:25 pm

I'm not 100% certain I understand what you are trying to do, but I will have a go to help:

If you now want to colour grade the 'two' clips in the Fusion Clip, just Open In Timeline the Fusion Clip (like in second screenshot), and then go to Color page inside the Fusion Clip, and apply grade to those two clips. This colour grade will apply before the Fusion composition (so it will affect MediaIn of the Fusion composition.)

I'm a bit confused why you have two MediaIn nodes in the Fusion composition? When a Fusion composition is on a Fusion Clip, each MediaIn node sees one video layer inside the Fusion Clip. You only have one video layer in the Fusion Clip, so you only need one MediaIn.

Or, if you do want to see the two clips separately inside the Fusion composition, you should move the second clip inside the Fusion Clip to video layer 2 of the Fusion Clip:

Hope that helps. Let me know if this doesn't solve your problem.

BMD Speed Editor

SebastiaM

PostWed Aug 11, 2021 9:41 pm

I really appreciate your help!

However, I'm not achieving want I would like to do.

In the second image it seems that there are two clips but it's the same clip chopped up. Both correspond to MediaIn1 and are color graded.

But there is another clip (MediaIn2) that I can see in the Fusion composition and in the main timeline (merged with MediaIn1).

This is the clip I would like to color grade. But when I 'open in timeline' the Fusion Clip, I only can see MediaIn1 (image 2).

I am bad at explaining myself. Hope it makes sense...

iddos-l

PostThu Aug 12, 2021 4:28 am

Find the second clip in the media pool add it to the timeline. Color it and then render it in place. You will get a new clip on the media pool that you can replace in fusion.
Hope I understood you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SebastiaM

PostThu Aug 12, 2021 7:01 am

Hey, thanks a lot! Didn't know that trick... :)

But is there a less "definitive" way of doing this? I mean, if I want to do further adjustments later I will have to 'decompose to original', make the adjustments and then 'render in place' again...

Are there any other alternatives?

iddos-l

PostThu Aug 12, 2021 7:12 am

I would copy all comp nodes excerpt the media’s in and rebuild the comp with the correct 2 clips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheBloke

PostThu Aug 12, 2021 7:20 am

SebastiaM wrote:Hey, thanks a lot! Didn't know that trick... :)

But is there a less "definitive" way of doing this? I mean, if I want to do further adjustments later I will have to 'decompose to original', make the adjustments and then 'render in place' again...

Are there any other alternatives?
The issue here is that you've dragged your second clip directly into the Fusion composition - it is not on any timeline. Therefore you only have workarounds, like iddos suggested.

If you put your second clip on video layer 2 inside the Fusion Clip, then in your Fusion composition copy MediaIn1 node, and increase the Layer number of the copy, it will read the second clip directly from the Fusion Clip (Fusion Clip compositions access each video layer separately, like I talked about yesterday)

That would allow adjusting the relative timing of the two clips on the Fusion Clip timeline, and putting Color effects on those two clips inside the Fusion Clip, and be able to adjust those Color effects any time later, without needing to keep re-rendering the clips.

In short: Fusion Clip compositions can have one MediaIn per video layer inside the Fusion Clip. These MediaIn nodes read the contents of the Fusion Clip layer-by-layer. You can then adjust the time position of the clips inside the Fusion Clip, and color grade them.

BMD Speed Editor

SebastiaM

PostThu Aug 12, 2021 7:29 am

Thank you both for your explanations! I have learned some useful things reading you. This afternoon I will try this:
TheBloke wrote:If you put your second clip on video layer 2 inside the Fusion Clip, then in your Fusion composition copy MediaIn1 node, and increase the Layer number of the copy, it will read the second clip directly from the Fusion Clip (Fusion Clip compositions access each video layer separately, like I talked about yesterday)
I will keep you posted!

SebastiaM

PostThu Aug 12, 2021 4:00 pm

Ok, I'm trying to redo everything again.

However, I'm having some issues.

My main timeline is 1920x1080 but one of the clips of the fusion composition is 3840x2160. I would like to work in Fusion with the larger resolution. But if I put the two clips in the main timeline, select both and then choose 'New Fusion Clip...', my Fusion composition will be 1920x1080 (I guess because of main timeline resolution). How could I work with a 3840x2160 resolution in Fusion using this method (New Fusion Clip...)?

Frank Engel

PostTue Sep 07, 2021 9:33 am

SebastiaM wrote:My main timeline is 1920x1080 but one of the clips of the fusion composition is 3840x2160. I would like to work in Fusion with the larger resolution. But if I put the two clips in the main timeline, select both and then choose 'New Fusion Clip...', my Fusion composition will be 1920x1080 (I guess because of main timeline resolution). How could I work with a 3840x2160 resolution in Fusion using this method (New Fusion Clip...)?

You will need to choose between using the color page to grade the second clip and accepting the lower resolution, or adding the higher-resolution clip directly in the Fusion page and grading it in Fusion itself instead of using the color page.

If you feel it is worth the runaround another method would be to create a separate 3840x2160 timeline, place the second clip there and do the grading, then render the result from that timeline into a new clip which you can then add to the Fusion composition, but you will lose the context of seeing the clip within the composition while performing the grading, which may defeat the purpose.

Return to Fusion