Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion for still images? (Affinity/Adobe PS/AI Replacement)

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

daveLony

Fusion for still images? (Affinity/Adobe PS/AI Replacement)

PostFri Aug 27, 2021 6:01 pm

Hi,

I am sick of these 2D layer based softwares.
I can just feel how they are node based under the hood but just HIDE the functionality in a way that only SEEMS simpler, as a way to torture me and take away my freedom.

Screw "Symbols", or "Smart Objects".. :?:
I see unvisible, but elusive nodes dancing before my eyes all the time using these 'constructs'.

Anyway: I now finally have a somewhat more decent computer than before (M1 Mac Mini) and now maybe be able to learn Fusion.

What about Fusion for still image creation? Is this something that is being done?

I am going to try to dive into this software again. But I wanted to ask this upfront.

Thanks, :-)

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Fusion for still images? (Affinity/Adobe PS/AI Replaceme

PostSun Aug 29, 2021 9:54 am

Moved to Fusion forum
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Jacob Danell

PostSun Aug 29, 2021 12:27 pm

Well they are both modifying an image so you can. Depending on your needs Affinity/photoshop is more tailored to work on still images than Fusion but if you just need to quickly modify something then sure, go for what you like the most :)

I actually made my business-card in After Effects instead of photoshop/illustrator 8-) (before the time I moved over to Fusion)

Windows 10, Fusion 18.x
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3090 Ti
128 GB ram

Bryan Ray

PostSun Aug 29, 2021 2:51 pm

I do most of my still image editing in Fusion these days. The only things I miss are brush dynamics and the ability to quickly select-and-copy layers like I could do in PS. And the quick HDR merge—I really ought to build a Fusion script for that. But I was never terribly skilled with Photoshop, so it's a much narrower gulf for me than it would be for someone who uses it as a primary tool.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

UserNoah

PostSun Aug 29, 2021 2:55 pm

I can definitely understand your frustration with Photo editing software. I feel the same every time I open Photoshop or Affinity Photo.
Whatever I can do, I do in Fusion.
I hate how final everything feels in Photo editing software and you always end up with dozens of copies so you can go back to an earlier state if you have to.
And to this day I don't understand why simple splines are such a pain to use in these applications.
But this also has to do with the fact that I simply don't use them that much.

But there are of course things that are more suited for photo editing software. For example, creating cleanplates or removing objects for a single frame is often easier. Especially with Photoshops really advanced AI features for removing things or masking objects.

The right tool for the right task. But yes, if I don't have to leave Fusion, then I don't. Also shout-out to the overlay when copy stamping with the paint tool.

Sander de Regt

PostSun Aug 29, 2021 3:59 pm

Since I'm a bit unsteady with pen and/or mouse, I like to keep things as procedural as possible, so I use Fusion for a lot of my still image work as well.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Kristof Indeherberge

PostMon Aug 30, 2021 9:17 am

I also use Fu for still images as I really love a procedural workflow. But I guess it depends on what you do in PS. If you're drawing and painting then Fu is not going to help you much.

Although you asked about Fusion specifically, there's also Cascade Image Editor. A node based workflow for still images.

https://github.com/ttddee/Cascade

daveLony

PostTue Oct 26, 2021 4:31 pm

Thanks guys,

Makes me more stoked to learn Fusion.

Return to Fusion