Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Help with a particle wipe (Fill)

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

amellon

Help with a particle wipe (Fill)

PostFri Sep 03, 2021 1:33 pm

The attachment wipe.jpg is no longer available
I've been with a comp I saw on JayAreTV. I followed and quite liked his particle wipe tutorial.

I'm looking to take this on step further. I'd like to have to particles "flow" from the original image into some other text. Like liquid flowing into a jug, but instead into characters. Not sure how to go about this, if anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them.

So far I've tried revealing the second text, fading in, as the particles are flowing down from the original image. But its not really selling the effect.

Is there a way to constrain where the particles go? Do I need to create a polygon mask for the characters? Is there a way to "solidify" the particles into a solid color after some time?

Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Attachments
wipe.jpg
JayAreTV
wipe.jpg (99.2 KiB) Viewed 1162 times
Aaron

Okke Verbart

Re: Help with a particle wipe (Fill)

PostSat Sep 04, 2021 6:27 am

Hi - I didn't watch the tutorial you mentioned, but from what you are describing my particle morph templates may be of use to you.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
www.ablackbirdcalledsue.com

amellon

PostSun Sep 05, 2021 4:54 am

Thanks for this, I'll start playing with it. I think your subtle template may have what I am looking for.

I've made a little progress since my first post. The particles are now flowing into the text but I have yet to figure out how to get them to stay in the text and 'solidify', thus revealing the text.

Thanks again!
Aaron

amellon

PostSun Sep 12, 2021 1:28 pm

Thanks for the reply Okke. I checked out your walk through and templates. Interesting and I enjoyed your channel but I am not ready to take on expressions and adapt them to what I want to do. As well I can't help but think what I want to accomplish can be done with out them. I should have mentioned from the get go that I am very much a beginner, so its quite possible that I am not going about this the right way.

Like I was saying in the initial post, I want to have a a dissolve effect, of which they are an abundance of tutorials on-line about. That much I have been able to achieve. But after the graphic (in this case) dissolves, I'd like the dissolved particles to 'fill' and 'reveal' text. So as the graphic dissolves the particles flow downwards and fill, and as well as reveal, text, much like water would fill a jug.

Thus far I've created a comp that uses 2 particle systems. 1 that dissolves a graphic. The other that animates some text. I've yet to mimic the filling of a jug that I want, but I think I can achieve that with some pturbulance and pdirectinalforce.

What I am really struggling with, is having the particles generated from the dissolving graphic 'flow' into the text. I feel like there is way to do this but I just can't wrap my head around how to do it.

ex.png
ex.png (619.46 KiB) Viewed 961 times

So far the above is as close I've been able to get. The particles immediately below the pool balls are desired. But the particles in the middle and below the text are not desired. The left viewer is the number particle system only, 2nd or right viewer is both particle systems merged.

Again any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I haven't looked into how to post a node tree but if itll be helpful Ill do it.
Aaron

Okke Verbart

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 6:50 pm

I think I understand what you're after.... I think you're looking for the pFriction node. In short, ensure the particles flow to the area where you want the text/logo/whatever to reveal, and then add a pFriction and feed that with a bitmap of your image. I used this in one of my test videos:

Okke Verbart

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 6:54 pm

just re-reading your message... Do you actually want to have *ALL* the particles from the dissolve to shape your word or is it OK if some disappear?

If it's the former, then it becomes elaborate (but not impossible), if it's the latter then it's somewhat easier.

amellon

PostFri Sep 17, 2021 4:42 am

Thanks a lot for this Okke. :D . This gets me a lot closer to what I am trying to achieve. I tried pFriction previously but I think I didn't have it set strong enough.

I saw the shake it demo. Very cool and very similar to what I want to accomplish. I couldn't find the walk through or template on your website though.

I do want all the particles to shape my word but I don't mind if some disappear. What I don't want are particles floating around once they reach the upper text plane, if that makes any sense. In other words once they reach to top of the text I want them to enter the letters, and not leave the boundaries of the letters.

I am still playing around with it. Right now the particles are bouncing back when they hit the text, which is kinda cool but not what I am looking for. As well the text is dissolving, but I am going to try and address that by merging another particle system and then have it fade in, and/or revealing the same text as a solid.

I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks again!
Aaron

amellon

PostWed Sep 29, 2021 2:04 pm

I'm getting real close to what I envisioned. Right now I have to figure out how to stop the particles from bouncing off the text. I am pretty sure it is the pFriction node that is causing this, but I need the pFriction node to keep the particles contained to the interior of the text.

As well I wanted the text to fill with the particles color, like water, but have not really gotten there yet. Originally I was attempting to do that with another particle system, but now I am using fast noise nodes. Fast noise has gotten me closer, but I have not yet been able to achieve the fluid water like motion I want. Also the particles are 'dripping' out of the text, which I originally didn't want. That probably bothers me the least, kinda looks like the letters overflowing with the liquid.

Either way its been fun and I intend to keep trying.

vlcsnap-2021-09-29-22h52m34s882.png
vlcsnap-2021-09-29-22h52m34s882.png (735.82 KiB) Viewed 565 times
Aaron

Return to Fusion