Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Color managed workflow

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Hulihullut Productions

Color managed workflow

PostFri Sep 10, 2021 9:20 am

I'm using the Davinci Wide Gamut as my project settings and the picture looks as it should on the edit and color pages. When I open it on the Fusion tab the highlights get blown out etc. Do I have to manually change the source color space on the fusion page to get the same look or what?

Thanks in advance!

birdseye

Re: Color managed workflow

PostFri Sep 10, 2021 10:58 am

Bernd at VFXstudy has been there and kindly made a video to help.

jdsglobal

PostFri Dec 10, 2021 2:01 am

This is all well and good (and thanks to Bernd for giving us some scrappy little workarounds) but the fundamental question is: As Blackmagic proclaims to be developing an integrated tool for post-production, when is that development going to focus on improving that integration rather than requiring ever-greater levels of 'working around' to take advantage of their other developments?

Note that the lack of integration between Fusion and their color managed workspace doesn't just effect people working in Fusion. It also effects the myriad of Fusion titles and effects that that they have brought into Resolve...as well as the third party motion graphics that were designed to intergrate with Resolve (which I'm sure they don't really care about).

And I don't buy the argument that "this is a minor incompatibility issue that we weren't aware of". Somebody somewhere in the Davinci Resolve ecosystem has tried to drop in a white Text+ title and realised the bloody thing was grey!!

Sorry for the rant...I know this doesn't answer the question. I'm just frustrated that the more development that BM do the closer it gets to being Adobe (except for the price, of course!).
2020 Custom-build PC, Intel i9-10900X CPU, 10 Core(s) @ 3.70 GHz, 4.30 GHz OC, 128GB RAM, 2-2TB NVMe SSDs, 20TB Internal HDD Raid, Dual Nvidia RTX 2080 Super 8GB
Two BMPCC4K
Resolve Speed Editor, BM ATEM Mini Pro
Current Resolve Studio Ver. 17.2

Kel Philm

PostFri Dec 10, 2021 9:35 pm

Would be nice to get the colour management built into the loader/saver nodes, currently I have a lot of OCIO colour transform and alpha div/mult nodes to deal with VFX connect comps. The overhead in processing these alone (plus caching) is a pain, doing this inside Loaders/Savers would make so much more sense and be far more efficient for speed and memory usage.

Return to Fusion