Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

How can I create Fusion Transition Presets with Variables

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

RagnarRox

How can I create Fusion Transition Presets with Variables

PostThu Oct 14, 2021 12:44 pm

I've been trying to figure this out and have been searching the forum, the Resolve/Fusion manual as well as tutorials online, yet I could not find an answer to this.

What I'm doing:
I am creating transitions with Fusion - the (somewhat inelegant) way I've learned to pull this off this so far is to drag one of the build-in Fusion Transition from the Effects library on (between two) clips on the timeline in the Edit Tab, then right click the transition -> Open in Fusion Page.
Then create the transition I want in Fusion, switch back to Edit and then right click it again and select "Create Transition Preset"

So far so good, this works.

The problem:
The thing I'm really trying to find out is: how can I take variables and values in the tools I'm using in Fusion and make it so I can enter/alter their values in the Inspector over in the Edit tab?

I have been trying to find that out for a good while and feel like it's probably very simple.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

TheBloke

Re: How can I create Fusion Transition Presets with Variable

PostFri Oct 15, 2021 6:30 am

There's no way you can click some button on the Fusion page to make a control appear for any given node over on Edit. I've wanted this for years, but still no sign of them implementing it as yet.

In order to make new Fusion Transitions or Fusion Effects which can be controlled from Edit, you need to save them as a .setting macro to a particular location on disk, then restart Resolve. Then it will recognise them as new effects which appear in the Effects Library, for use in future.

As a workaround for dynamically adding controls without restarting Resolve, it is possible to add new controls to the Text+ effect. Because the Edit page Text+ effect exposes all its controls to Edit, and custom controls added will also be seen on Edit.

Here's three tutorials showing the various options available. Watch all three, in the order given, as there have been updates in Resolve to how these files are stored and updated.

The first video shows the Text+ workaround, the second video shows making your own custom templates/transitions, and the third video shows the new features in v17 for effects/transitions including new ways to install them.

(There's other tutorials from other creators as well, available on YouTube, but these are the ones I've watched myself and so can recommend)
Resolve Studio 17.4.3 and Fusion Studio 17.4.3 on macOS 11.6.1

Hackintosh:: X299, Intel i9-10980XE, 128GB DDR4, AMD 6900XT 16GB
Monitors: 1 x 3840x2160 & 3 x 1920x1200
Disk: 2TB NVMe + 4TB RAID0 NVMe; NAS: 36TB RAID6
BMD Speed Editor

RagnarRox

Re: How can I create Fusion Transition Presets with Variable

PostFri Oct 15, 2021 9:53 am

Fantastic, this was exactly what I was looking for.
Yeah, the tutorials I found so far were all "how to make templates" but none went into this quite granular part of it. This is great, thank you, appreciate the help a lot, mate! :)

Return to Fusion