Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Workflow: 6k Footage, Resolve/Fusion Trip. Any Concerns?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Sean Weaver

Workflow: 6k Footage, Resolve/Fusion Trip. Any Concerns?

PostThu Oct 14, 2021 8:10 pm

Any red flags to this workflow, which I have been rehearsing and scheming for a couple days....

I am shooting 6k footage at 60fps and obviously don't have the power on my machine to work at that resolution in the timeline, or the power to composite in Fusion at the full resolution. Specs:

MacBook Pro
8-Core Intel Core i9
2.4 GHz
Memory: 32 GB
AMD Radeon Pro 5600M 8 GB

Maybe I got greedy but after working at a 1080 timeline, when I wanted to zoom in close on one shot, I began to become dissatisfied. Furthermore, I had been told that the higher the resolution (along with fps), the cleaner an even-scroll animation would be....

Turns out, I have completely gotten away with creating a Fusion VFX Clip, compositing the two shots at the full 6k resolution in Fusion Studio, and rendering back to Resolve.

Then for the animation, I just got away with creating a separate Fusion Studio render at 6k, 60 fps, importing into the Media Pool, cropping and sliding into place on the lower bottom width of the screen. Rendering all of that out of Resolve (downscaling to 4k), it worked.

What I like is that in Fusion Studio, I can import that audio track to animate the music scroll to, and the playback seems to be much cleaner and less choppy when lining up to the waveform.

Time will tell me if this is sustainable but are there any outright red flags to this workflow? I setup a custom location for the .comp files for the VFX Clip, as it came to my attention early on that the .comp is by default stored in the CacheClip folder, which seems like a horrible idea. In any event, aside from being meticulous about the .comp file location, are there any outright reasons you would advise *not* compositing separately at the full 6k resolution in Fusion stand-alone?
DR 18 Studio
macOS Monterey 12.7.2
MBP 16-Inch, 2019
2.4 GHz 8-Core Intel i9
32GB 2667 MHz DDR4
AMD Radeon Pro 5600M 8GB

Return to Fusion