Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Camera Tracker acting strange with 4K

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

HolSyn

Camera Tracker acting strange with 4K

PostWed Dec 01, 2021 7:27 pm

I was initially testing out tracking using my footage downscaled to 1080p (For quicker iteration of my tests). After figuring out how to work with the camera tracker and get a decent track I decided to go through the process again but with my actual 4k footage. However, it seems with my 4k footage it doesn't want to track my obvious greenscreen markers that it used during the 1080p tracking.

I get way less tracking information from my 4k footage and it only wants to use the stuff in the foreground or the actor, and completely ignores the markers or other obvious tracking details. How can I get it to notice and use my very clear markers for the tracking? and just get it more accurate overall? Seems strange that it's getting less information from a higher resolution image. Am I missing something?

Also, yes, I normally mask out the things I don't want, and even if I mask IN only the greenscreen markers, it doesn't want to use them accurately.

Also seems like it's only preferring false corners? but also just picking up random details in the black cloak.

Is there some kind of disparity in my project that wants to try to track using 1080p logic applied to the 4k video? and that is throwing off the track?

unknown3.png
(THIS WAS THE TRACKER IN 1080P AND WITH A MASK OVER THE ACTOR)
unknown3.png (863.63 KiB) Viewed 381 times
Attachments
unknown2.png
(WHEN IN 4k DOESN'T PICK UP MARKERS - NOTE THAT THE ACTOR IS NOT MASKED OUT)
unknown2.png (788.31 KiB) Viewed 381 times
unknown.png
unknown.png (769.59 KiB) Viewed 381 times

Bryan Ray

Re: Camera Tracker acting strange with 4K

PostWed Dec 01, 2021 10:28 pm

Try oversharpening the footage. That will hopefully emphasize the smaller variances in the details you want the tracker to pick up. A high pass filter is sometimes useful, too—I think there is at least one available in Reactor.

Yet another instance where supervised tracking would be really useful.

edit: Oh, and adjustments to gamma and saturation might create more trackable contrasts, too.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

HolSyn

Re: Camera Tracker acting strange with 4K

PostThu Dec 02, 2021 2:48 pm

Thanks for the suggestions Bryan! I was able to get it to pick out the markers by using a sharpen edges node with show edges marked.. but I also think it will require more extensive masking of things I don't want tracked because it still prefers things that are considered more contrasted.

I've heard different things where some people have said to stabilize first and then track? and others have said definitely do not.. any thoughts? Seems like if I don't stabilize it loses the tracks in more shaky movements, and if I do stabilize, the motion gets a weird parallax effect.

SharpenEdges.png
SharpenEdges.png (70.76 KiB) Viewed 265 times

Return to Fusion