Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Particle emitter to tracker...

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Blazso

Particle emitter to tracker...

PostWed Jan 05, 2022 9:37 pm

Hello

So what is the proper way to link a particle emitter to a tracker?...

Because so far trying to accomplish this most simple of tasks has turned into a 2 hour headache with nothing working as expected, as seems to be the normal experience when working with particles in fusion... Thanks old eyeon team... (I wont blame the blackmagic people yet).

So when I connect my particle emitter to the Tracker input foreground and set it to matchmove (after tracking) My particles end up cut off by some DOD in the pRender to tracker node which has never been an issue with other media and match moves. My emitter is wide enough to cover the entire scene and movement and in the pRender node I have "kill particles outside of view" turned off but its like the pRender into tracker is moving the pRender DOD

So maybe instead I link the particle emitter center to the trackers position... nope none of that works as intended.

Maybe I run the particle into a transform node to control its positioning and then connect it to the tracker position... Nope doesnt work as intended

Okay, maybe I run the Prender into a merge node and then use a background node to increase the "size" to essentially create an asset bigger than my plate and move it, nope because the pRender's DOD still rules here...

It's crap like this that has me thinking Nuke is my next adventure...

Blazso

Re: Particle emitter to tracker...

PostWed Jan 05, 2022 10:19 pm

Tried converting the Tracker path to an X Y path and then connect the pEmitters X and Y displacement for its region. This moves the emitter correctly but, the problem is or appears to be that the emitters region has no effect on the particles that were already generated... So each particle is essentially still falling straight down... Instead of also moving with the camera while falling downward...

Like what is the point of the "kill particles outside the view" option in the pRender node if it has a DOD that is just going to kill all the particles anyways?...

3.5 hours now to finish 1% of an effect... go go fusion...

Blazso

PostWed Jan 05, 2022 10:40 pm

Why cant I just set the ******* DOD in the pRender node!? seems like a sensible option in a ******* render node..

Seems like my only option now is to redo the track with a 3d camera, which is going to be overkill for the scene and annoying to redo because of all the foreground movement and then I get to completely redo all of the settings of my 2d particle in 3d now, so fun... Oh and then I get to build out the workaround of converting all of those 3d particles back into 2d so I can adjust the blend mode when merging because 3d particles don't have a bend mode in them...

ya I'm really loving Fusion today...

Blazso

PostWed Jan 05, 2022 11:30 pm

Blazso wrote:Why cant I just set the ******* DOD in the pRender node!? seems like a sensible option in a ******* render node..

Seems like my only option now is to redo the track with a 3d camera, which is going to be overkill for the scene and annoying to redo because of all the foreground movement and then I get to completely redo all of the settings of my 2d particle in 3d now, so fun... Oh and then I get to build out the workaround of converting all of those 3d particles back into 2d so I can adjust the blend mode when merging because 3d particles don't have a bend mode in them...

ya I'm really loving Fusion today...

Nope NVM this is a horrible solution.

Thought I found an option in the render under image height / width that does effect the DOD but, it also effects the particles look so any changes to it changes final output because its not actually increasing the image size / crop its just zooming and stretching the image that's there...

Seriously how is this how a particle render works and applies itself to tracking in an advance vfx program in 2022!?

(Oh and I did read the manual on particles, no real information found on the pSystem because documentation on Fusion has always been and still is junk).

Blazso

PostThu Jan 06, 2022 12:45 am

Jesus it just gets worse and worse...

Tried the pFollow node because duh, right. Connected it's X and Y to the trackers X Y path and it does nothing...

Tried going back to the pRender and it's translation values, connected its X Y path to the trackers X Y... Nothing... Okay odd. So I remove that connection and set a keyframe on first frame of its translation, go foward some and change the value so I can see the particles moving and set another key... Now when I play back I can see the particles moving with the change I just made... But for some reason when I connect this to the trackers value and have a key on every frame I get nothing...

Blazso

PostThu Jan 06, 2022 1:38 am

Welp Final solution...

Render out the particles to a merge node FG input with a background node connected to it. Increase the background node size, increase the merges foreground size. Decrease the emitter particle size, change directional forces to account for new scale, change amount of particles to account for new scale...

essentially what this has done now is create an asset 12k asset that I can move overtop of my original playe with a match move.

The downside to this is Im essentially working at one resolution to make a particles that I then zoom in on... So pretty much it feels like Im working in an After Effects precomp... And I thought the whole damn point of Nodes was to avoid this kind of struggle...

The more I fusion the more it feels like a half baked compositor with a lot of old legacy issues. no wonder Nuke and Unreal Engine are stealing the show.

Blazso

PostThu Jan 06, 2022 1:49 am

Blazso wrote:Welp Final solution...

Render out the particles to a merge node FG input with a background node connected to it. Increase the background node size, increase the merges foreground size. Decrease the emitter particle size, change directional forces to account for new scale, change amount of particles to account for new scale...

essentially what this has done now is create an asset 12k asset that I can move overtop of my original playe with a match move.

The downside to this is Im essentially working at one resolution to make a particles that I then zoom in on... So pretty much it feels like Im working in an After Effects precomp... And I thought the whole damn point of Nodes was to avoid this kind of struggle...

The more I fusion the more it feels like a half baked compositor with a lot of old legacy issues. no wonder Nuke and Unreal Engine are stealing the show.

Oh and this solution sucks in its own way because now the comp barely wants to render do to this huge dumb asset... Better still is that I need to repeat this entire solution for an extra layer of particles for behind my mid ground figure... So it's about to really not render and then next I need to add this effect to two more shots...

Sander de Regt

PostThu Jan 06, 2022 6:44 am

Sorry to hear, you're having so much trouble.
One thing I couldn't figure out from your description is if you're using a 2D pRender or a 3D one.
All the basic translation options inside the pEmitter are - as you found out for translating, well, the emitter.
Internally the Fusion particles always live in a 3D world, so you can't just 'move' them once they have been emitted.

There are usually two needs for tracking particles: linking the actual emitter to an item on screen i.e. the spout of a garden hose or the end of a torch, or you have a camera movement, say a pan over a field that needs snow added. If it's the former you need to track/translate the emitter, if it's the latter you need to track/translate the camera.
Unfortunately, but logically, the 2d and 3d camera of the particle system doesn't line up 1 tot 1 to the screen coordinates of your image, so rendering larger and/or tiling your layers is the way to go, just like it would be when using stock footage as a layer.
Because that's what you're effectively creating: another piece of footage to work with in the rest of your comp.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Blazso

PostThu Jan 06, 2022 8:41 am

Sander de Regt wrote:Sorry to hear, you're having so much trouble.
One thing I couldn't figure out from your description is if you're using a 2D pRender or a 3D one.
All the basic translation options inside the pEmitter are - as you found out for translating, well, the emitter.
Internally the Fusion particles always live in a 3D world, so you can't just 'move' them once they have been emitted.

There are usually two needs for tracking particles: linking the actual emitter to an item on screen i.e. the spout of a garden hose or the end of a torch, or you have a camera movement, say a pan over a field that needs snow added. If it's the former you need to track/translate the emitter, if it's the latter you need to track/translate the camera.
Unfortunately, but logically, the 2d and 3d camera of the particle system doesn't line up 1 tot 1 to the screen coordinates of your image, so rendering larger and/or tiling your layers is the way to go, just like it would be when using stock footage as a layer.
Because that's what you're effectively creating: another piece of footage to work with in the rest of your comp.

Yeah, so my shot is like the snowy field where I need the particles to be like a big curtain effect that I can move with the camera. I tried as you said, to move the emitter by connecting it to the the tracker position but, that it didnt move the particles with it, it only moved where the next particle would be emitted from. However, if I keyframed the emitter position by hand, say on the start frame and the last frame with no other keys between them then it would move the particles that had already spawned with it like how you think it should work... IDK maybe I just found some weird bug with render previews and particles.

Emilio Sapia

PostThu Jan 06, 2022 7:26 pm

Blazso wrote:The more I fusion the more it feels like a half baked compositor with a lot of old legacy issues. no wonder Nuke and Unreal Engine are stealing the show.

...Have ever crossed your mind that maybe you just don't know how to do something?
Are you using a 2D Tracker and a 3D Particle System? If so keep in mind that Fusion has 2 different sets of coordinates for 2D and 3D. I have to say I'm not sure what you're trying to do exactly. Maybe post some screenshot? Or maybe a screen capture of the output your comp?
All I can say is that 3D and 2D coordinates can be matched, you just need some expressions. But I'd need to see more to help.

Blazso

PostThu Jan 06, 2022 10:30 pm

Emilio Sapia wrote:
Blazso wrote:The more I fusion the more it feels like a half baked compositor with a lot of old legacy issues. no wonder Nuke and Unreal Engine are stealing the show.

...Have ever crossed your mind that maybe you just don't know how to do something?
Are you using a 2D Tracker and a 3D Particle System? If so keep in mind that Fusion has 2 different sets of coordinates for 2D and 3D. I have to say I'm not sure what you're trying to do exactly. Maybe post some screenshot? Or maybe a screen capture of the output your comp?
All I can say is that 3D and 2D coordinates can be matched, you just need some expressions. But I'd need to see more to help.

Its a pretty simple effect, imagine you have a camera shot panning across a field and you want to add snow or rain to it. The difference between the start of the shot and end is like 200% so there is no one feature that can be tracked all the way through but, using append track a usable track can be generated to "match move" the rain effect to.

And that's where all the trouble started (this was a 2d particle for clarity) because matching moving the pRender to tracker moved the pRender's DOD with it and because there's no option in the pRender node to increase it's DOD nothing can be done about it and the "Kill particles outside the view has nothing to do with the DOD which just makes my mind numb to even think about.

So maybe instead attach the pEmitter center to the track path via the right click option... Well this does in fact move the pEmitter but moving the pEmitter in this way does not effect particles that have already been generated and it only effects where the next particle will be generated, so essentially all of the rain or snow is still falling straight down from its starting position but not tracking left or right with the trackers movement (ie the cameras movement).

Okke Verbart

PostFri Jan 07, 2022 10:33 am

What I would do is to actually use a 3D particle system paired with an Orthographic camera (gets rid of depth). You can then link the camera's x and y position to the tracker's x-offset and y-offset respectively. The advantage here is that you're not going to face any DoD issues. So, you can set up an emitter region that's quite wide (beyond the camera's view) and then with the camera being linked to the tracker the particles will move along with the camera. You will probably need to apply some scaling though (in my example below I multiple the Y track by 2 and the x-track by 2* (1920/1080).

You can then merge the result over the video footage.

I also inserted a red marker in the 3D scene that matches the original 2D tracker point (approximately). As you can see, the red marker moves nicely along with the scene.

Quick example:
www.ablackbirdcalledsue.com

Okke Verbart

PostFri Jan 07, 2022 10:41 am

The setup:
(and forgot to mention in my previous post that the camera needs to move in the opposite direction of the tracker, hence the minus sign in the expressions)

Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (216.13 KiB) Viewed 3858 times

Blazso

PostFri Jan 07, 2022 7:23 pm

Okke Verbart wrote:What I would do is to actually use a 3D particle system paired with an Orthographic camera (gets rid of depth). You can then link the camera's x and y position to the tracker's x-offset and y-offset respectively. The advantage here is that you're not going to face any DoD issues. So, you can set up an emitter region that's quite wide (beyond the camera's view) and then with the camera being linked to the tracker the particles will move along with the camera. You will probably need to apply some scaling though (in my example below I multiple the Y track by 2 and the x-track by 2* (1920/1080).

You can then merge the result over the video footage.

I also inserted a red marker in the 3D scene that matches the original 2D tracker point (approximately). As you can see, the red marker moves nicely along with the scene.

Quick example:

I don't believe your particles are moving correctly for the shot. They look like they are moving with the camera and not to the world and falling down on it. This is the same result I was getting with the 2d particles and moving the emitter. It seems like moving the emitter only changes where the next particles will spawn in for that frame but not effect the coordinates of any particles that have already spawned in.

To test this better and show the result, turn the physics on your particles way down until they are practically a static pattern and then re-render them and see if they are moving correctly for the shot.

I like the idea of using an orthographic camera though, I didnt even think about that.

Sander de Regt

PostFri Jan 07, 2022 7:33 pm

t seems like moving the emitter only changes where the next particles will spawn in for that frame but not effect the coordinates of any particles that have already spawned in.

That is true and logical. The emitter is your spout. Once it has left the emitter it's up to the forces that influence the particle (wind,gravity, friction etc).
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Okke Verbart

PostFri Jan 07, 2022 8:03 pm

I don't believe your particles are moving correctly for the shot. They look like they are moving with the camera and not to the world and falling down on it. This is the same result I was getting with the 2d particles and moving the emitter. It seems like moving the emitter only changes where the next particles will spawn in for that frame but not effect the coordinates of any particles that have already spawned in.

To test this better and show the result, turn the physics on your particles way down until they are practically a static pattern and then re-render them and see if they are moving correctly for the shot.

I like the idea of using an orthographic camera though, I didnt even think about that.

It may be hard to see, but they're moving correctly. This is the reason I inserted the red box (at the bottom). This red box "lives" in the same 3d space as the particles (and are part of the same render), and as you can see they move correctly with the footage.

Okke Verbart

PostFri Jan 07, 2022 8:17 pm

but, to show it more clearly, I removed all forces from the particles. As you can see, they stick largely to the landscape. Of course not completely (as the camera makes a bit of a pivot, rather than a complete parallel move --> parallax), but this should work well enough for a lot of cases.

Ideally of course, 3D camera tracking would be the answer.

Blazso

PostFri Jan 07, 2022 8:31 pm

Sander de Regt wrote:
t seems like moving the emitter only changes where the next particles will spawn in for that frame but not effect the coordinates of any particles that have already spawned in.

That is true and logical. The emitter is your spout. Once it has left the emitter it's up to the forces that influence the particle (wind,gravity, friction etc).

Yep that's what I figured too (even if it's not always true, like in the case comping snow/rain, or making smoke trails that emit from a moving source like a car and you want the smoke to move with some velocity but then slow down very quickly as it hits wind resistance and because "it have no mass".

Which is what lead me to try the pFollow node (with its other settings turned to zero) and linking it to the tracker. It unfortunately returns the same result as moving the emitter.

The more I think about it the more I come back to the ultimate solution for particles which is being able to move the pRender (as you can now) except with a user defined DOD like if I could just increase the DOD to match my emitters region size all of this would be solved.

Oh then still have the option in the pRender to "kill particles outside the view", this would be a beautiful set up for particles because then you could have a lot of control over them.

Sander de Regt

PostFri Jan 07, 2022 8:35 pm

Yep that's what I figured too (even if it's not always true, like in the case comping snow/rain, or making smoke trails that emit from a moving source like a car and you want the smoke to move with some velocity but then slow down very quickly as it hits wind resistance and because "it have no mass".

That's what the inherit option in the velocity section of the pEmitter is for. It lets you decide how much speed from the emitter's motion is inherited.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Blazso

PostFri Jan 07, 2022 8:49 pm

Sander de Regt wrote:

That's what the inherit option in the velocity section of the pEmitter is for. It lets you decide how much speed from the emitter's motion is inherited.

Oh shoot, well maybe that's just what needs to be cranked to 100% for working with particle "screen" effects like a curtain of rain, snow, or smoke.

I did try to google, read the Fusion manual, and look for a resource that had paragraphs about every pNode and the options in them but, it's just not out there.

Sander de Regt

PostFri Jan 07, 2022 8:58 pm

I'll let that depend on your artistic preference. Rain and snow - for me - have static emitters in real life i.e. a cloud is not the same thing as a flare or the smoke stack of a train, so I'd never animate the emitter if the real life equivalant wasn't animated.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Okke Verbart

PostFri Jan 07, 2022 9:02 pm

To be honest, I don't think you're going to get stellar results without a 3D camera tracker. That's the only way to really integrate particles properly into the scene taking into account depth, parallax etc.

I just had a play with an enlarged 2D particle system (like your 12K example), but in my (admittedly quick tests), my 3D turned into 2D method works better.

Without a proper 3D tracker, your particles will never perfectly stick to the landscape (unless there's no parallax in the footage)

Blazso

PostFri Jan 07, 2022 9:15 pm

Sander de Regt wrote:I'll let that depend on your artistic preference. Rain and snow - for me - have static emitters in real life i.e. a cloud is not the same thing as a flare or the smoke stack of a train, so I'd never animate the emitter if the real life equivalant wasn't animated.

LOL, that's what I thought too which is why it made complete sense to pipe the pRender node into the tracker node and use it's match move operation, which works perfectly!.. Except for the pRender node's damn DOD and the fact that you cant set it / it does not grow to matching the pEmitter's region size. :evil:

Anyone know if there is a render script that could be used to adjust this?... (I have no experience with render scripts or anything scripting in Fusion so I'm not even sure if this is a good question, lol).

Okke Verbart

PostFri Jan 07, 2022 9:35 pm

I think I may have another solution for you. In the pRender, you can link the scene translation to the tracker. This way you can avoid using the transform and avoid DoD issues.

I tested it and it works well

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (141 KiB) Viewed 3690 times
Last edited by Okke Verbart on Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Okke Verbart

PostFri Jan 07, 2022 9:36 pm

you will just need to ensure your region is large enough

Blazso

PostFri Jan 07, 2022 11:23 pm

Okke Verbart wrote:I think I may have another solution for you. In the pRender, you can link the scene translation to the tracker. This way you can avoid using the transform and avoid DoD issues.

I tested it and it works well

Capture.JPG

I think I tried that one but, for some reason it didnt work right and I dont recall why, I think it was doing the same thing as moving the pEmitter when linked to the tracker. Strangely though when I keyframed it by hand and then let it interpolate its own frames between the keys it behaved differently than when I attached it to the tracker.

I really need to make a video at this point but, the scene is done and just waiting to be rendered so Im not touching anything until then, lol.

Okke Verbart

PostSat Jan 08, 2022 6:19 am

Definitely try it again, b/c I tested it and the whole scene moves (both emitter and already emitted particles), which makes sense (for the purposes of things like snow and rain where you need to compensate for the movement of the shot)

Oh, and if you add the expression with Pickwhipping, ensure you add the ".X"and ".Y" respectively, as when you just do the pickwhip thing it doesn't add those automatically.

Blazso

PostSat Jan 08, 2022 8:28 pm

Okke Verbart wrote:Definitely try it again, b/c I tested it and the whole scene moves (both emitter and already emitted particles), which makes sense (for the purposes of things like snow and rain where you need to compensate for the movement of the shot)

Oh, and if you add the expression with Pickwhipping, ensure you add the ".X"and ".Y" respectively, as when you just do the pickwhip thing it doesn't add those automatically.

Real quick, are you using fusion studio or the Resolve/Fusion combo?

Im using Fusion in Resolve 17 (studio/paid version) and I'm starting to think maybe the particle system is just buggy here. Like I cant do a particle freeze frame by setting a key on the first frame of the Emitter number attribute and then reducing it to 0 on the second frame. The particles slow pop out of existence starting on the next frame (even if I turn up the particle lifespan).

Okke Verbart

PostSun Jan 09, 2022 12:46 pm

I use it predominantly in Fusion Studio standalone. However, I do also use it in Resolve (mostly for my tutorials).

What you describe sounds very odd. So, if you take a pEmitter and pRender, and keep the default settings, but just keyframe the number of particles emitted (say 100 at time 0 and 0 after that), the particles don't stay there? If so, could you provide a little video or your comp file?

In the above case you should see a 100 static particles at time 0 through to 99 and they should all disappear at frame 100 (assuming you kept the default lifespan of 100)

This is such a basic scenario and should work at all times.

Blazso

PostMon Jan 10, 2022 11:21 pm

Yeah I know what you mean, I even tried to google the problem and see if someone else had experienced the something but, I only found old articles and people having sensible problems with doing a freeze frame and the the solution being like, they were actually setting it to 0 on frame 3... or stuff like that. (I had hoped to see something more recent like 2019 or something from when fusion went into resolve)

I'll try to post a video soon but, I just went and checked it again to be sure and yeah on default settings I cant get a freeze frame to work. Also tried it with points, bumps, and blob styles and various other settings that I thought could effect it and still no freeze.

Sander de Regt

PostTue Jan 11, 2022 6:57 am

Try adding a friction set to 1 and see if that helps.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Blazso

PostTue Jan 11, 2022 11:24 am

Sander de Regt wrote:Try adding a friction set to 1 and see if that helps.

I would but that just adds to the node tree and Im trying to keep it light, luckily this is just a 2d asset for further manipulation by more effects down the pipe, so I found a work around of just exporting the one frame I want as a PNG and then importing it, lol.

If this was a 3D thing though, like making a star field a camera moves in I'd be SOL...

Oh, and I dont think friction will help because they aren't moving they are just dying in place. Ill try though just to be sure.

Sander de Regt

PostTue Jan 11, 2022 1:27 pm

Ah, they are already static?

You said 'particle freeze' so I interpreted that as that you wanted to stop the movement of the particles.

Never mind then.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Return to Fusion