Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

How to change the size of particles in the emitter?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

nubie63

How to change the size of particles in the emitter?

PostSat Jan 08, 2022 2:48 pm

I can't find a way under the emitter controls and parameters to get different sizes of particles like in a 3D software.
I'm asking cause I'm missing perspective effects. For instance I'd like to have smaller particles at the beginning of a sequence and bigger ones at the end when the particles move towards us (Angle Z on -90).
I can't find any examples or post in the forum about that, so I ask here.

Is pCustom the only way to do that? If yes how/where would you start if you had to do that using pCustom?

Okke Verbart

Re: How to change the size of particles in the emitter?

PostMon Jan 10, 2022 11:15 am

Hi Morda - if you mean an effect where the size of the particle is larger, the closer it's to the camera, you don't actually need to change the size of the particles. However, you *do* need to ensure you set the particle style to something other than point. To test it, set it for instance to "blob". You will see that the closer it's to the camera the larger it gets.

The reason it doesn't work with the style set to point is that it's basically 1 dimensional, i.e. not affected by size, rotation etc.
www.ablackbirdcalledsue.com

nubie63

Re: How to change the size of particles in the emitter?

PostMon Jan 10, 2022 9:28 pm

@Okke Verbart: Thank you very much!
While waiting for my post to be approved, I played with camera animation and also Size Controls (under Style) like Size Z Scale and Size Over Life. Totally missed these earlier.
I encountered some heavy bugs though when working with particles & bitmaps, also when duplicating Fusion composition for instance.
I'll check where the bugs reports are.

Return to Fusion