Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

faking 3D in Fusion?...

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Blazso

faking 3D in Fusion?...

PostTue Jan 11, 2022 7:46 pm

So one of the things I apparently really like and miss about After Effects is its ability to quickly 'Fake' a 3d layer in any comp by simply toggling a switch and getting that 3rd dimension.

So is there a way to quickly fake 3d in fusion?

Here's the specifics. I have a planarTransform node that was made using a planarTrack node. I have a merge node with my art asset feeding into the PlanarTransform and using the merge node's options Im able to scale and position that asset so its all correct through the PlanarTransform and then into another merge and back onto my source image.

What I really need now though is the ability to turn that merge node into a simple 3d node so I can animate just a little bit of the Y rotation so it times up with the planarTransform movement.

Sander de Regt

Re: faking 3D in Fusion?...

PostTue Jan 11, 2022 8:09 pm

Since the planar track isn't true 3d, you won't get a fake camera out of it.
What you're describing can be done with the DVE node though. It operates in a fake 3D space.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Blazso

Re: faking 3D in Fusion?...

PostWed Jan 12, 2022 3:34 am

Thank you. -Oh man, this node it's awesome! The only thing I wish it had built into it now is a scale and crop function, otherwise this little guys is awesome for everything else!

Right now Im running it into a planar transform that was made from a simple planarTrack translation (no rotation or scale). And Im using the DVE node to handle all the rest of the animation of putting raindrops on a car door as it swings open and toward the camera (like 90 degrees total) so being able to scale the raindrop texture and then crop it down to the area I want would be handy.

Return to Fusion