Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

How do you merge LFTools on footage?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

joemart

How do you merge LFTools on footage?

PostThu Jan 13, 2022 4:11 pm

I stumbled upon the LFTools within this link and I immediately fell in love with it as it's free and has a lot of potential. In the tutorial video, Millolab explains the use of each of the elements, but I don't see how he merges it with his footage. I tried using a merge node and placing the LFTool node on the foreground of the merge node with "Apply mode" Screen or Overlay and the result was not what I was looking for. The color seemed off. Perhaps I am not doing it right, perhaps I'm missing something? I'm not sure.

My idea was to have the result of a 3D object merged with the LFTools. The 3D rendered object would be on the background and the LFTool on the foreground merged using the "Screen" apply mode, but the light from the LFTool is not as bright as I expected. What am I missing?

Bryan Ray

Re: How do you merge LFTools on footage?

PostThu Jan 13, 2022 4:27 pm

They should simply be added. No blend modes involved. Leave Apply Mode on Normal, and pull the Alpha Gain slider in the Merge to 0. That will add the inputs together. Or you can use the Channel Booleans in Add mode.

Delete Screen from your consciousness. It's a workaround for non-floating point compositing, and generally speaking it has no place in a linear workflow. As you have noted, if the colors go above 1.0 (and in a scene-referred color space, they very often will), screen makes things darker instead of brighter.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Return to Fusion