Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Best way to increase resolution before export in Fusion 17

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

peterbaumann

Best way to increase resolution before export in Fusion 17

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 1:55 pm

What's the best way to increase the resolution of a project in Fusion Standalone once you've finished working and before you render to a Saver node?

In DR17, I'd usually just increase the resolution of a background node and things would, for the most part, convert as expected. In Fusion Standalone, that doesn't seem to work.

If I change the main project settings, several nodes don't auto-scale. I have to go into many of the nodes and manually tell them to use Frame Format in their image tabs. Is there a way to enable this by default, and would that reliably scale objects from, say, 1080p whilst working to then export the node tree at 4k via a saver.

I tried adding the Resize node at the end of the chain before the Saver, but I'm not sure that's doing quite the same job as telling each node to work at 4k. There wasn't a visible difference between a 1080p render without that node and a 4k node with the Resize node at the end of the chain upscaling to 4k.
M1 Max Macbook Pro 16-inch (2021)
OS Monterey 12.6.1
Apple M1 Max
10-Core CPU
32-Core GPU
64GB RAM

Intel MacBook Pro 15-inch (2018)
OS Catalina 10.15.7
2.6GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7
32GB RAM
Radeon Pro Vega 20 4GB

Bryan Ray

Re: Best way to increase resolution before export in Fusion

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 6:09 pm

The Resize will perform a resample of the raster, reducing the quality; that's definitely not what you want.

Probably a better way to work would be to use the Proxy mode while working instead of beginning work at a low resolution. That way your working resolution is low and speedy, but the source remains full-res. You'll also be able to toggle it on and off to compare your full-res to the working res image. But that's not going to help you right this minute.

It's hard to say for certain, given that I don't know all the nodes you're working with. But here's a line of code that you can use to set Use Frame Format Settings on every tool that has such a switch:

for i, tool in ipairs(comp:GetToolList()) do tool.UseFrameFormatSettings = 1 end

Paste that into the Console and hit enter to run it.

Of course, I recommend saving a new version before running it, just in case it changes things you don't want it to change.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

peterbaumann

PostWed Jan 26, 2022 6:43 pm

Haven't tried it yet, but that bit of code could come in very useful, thanks.

I've not explored the Proxy mode in Fusion yet, so that may also be the best answer for me. I had previously been turning off HiQ whilst working, but I realised that there's a bug/issue where it then doesn't toggle back on for some nodes (eg. Text+) when you do the final Render, which isn't ideal!
OS Monterey 12.6.1
Apple M1 Max
10-Core CPU
32-Core GPU
64GB RAM

OS Catalina 10.15.7
32GB RAM
Radeon Pro Vega 20 4GB

peterbaumann

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 11:11 am

Just tested the code and that seemed to work to increase trigger the 'Use Frame Format Settings' checkbox, thanks.

Proxy Mode also seems to enable me to work quickly and doesn't have the anti-aliasing issues on the final render that I get with HiQ toggled off when working (see this thread: https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=153888). Interestingly, Auto-Proxy does have the same anti-aliasing issues.
OS Monterey 12.6.1
Apple M1 Max
10-Core CPU
32-Core GPU
64GB RAM

OS Catalina 10.15.7
32GB RAM
Radeon Pro Vega 20 4GB

Bryan Ray

PostThu Jan 27, 2022 6:15 pm

That's a very unfortunate bug, and it's super weird that AutoProxy would cause final render problems, since that's only supposed to turn on when you're interacting with something. I hope they get it squashed quickly.

Anyway, I'm glad you've got it sorted!
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Return to Fusion