Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Resolve OFX Plugins

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Tomek Kosiorek

Re: Resolve OFX Plugins

PostMon May 02, 2022 1:45 pm

+1
Apple Mac Pro Late 2013, 64 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 8TB LaCie RAID 0, Fusion Studio 18.6.4, Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4

Helge Maus

PostTue May 03, 2022 9:29 am

+1 from me for

Mesh tracker
Object masking &
Depth extraction

in Fusion Page and Fusion Studio

Thanks,

Helge

astone

PostWed May 04, 2022 9:01 am

+1

raphaelgoesm

PostWed May 04, 2022 12:52 pm

+1

deadpixelx

PostFri May 06, 2022 9:43 am

+1

jpageau

PostSat May 07, 2022 2:43 am

+1 from me too. Those tools are very desirable to have in my 3D compositing pipeline. I need to be file based for my compositing workflow, so Fusion Studio is the tool I need. However, I want things like Automatic Depth Maps and Object Mask very badly in Fusion Studio. I can of course save out the masks from Resolve... but having them directly as nodes in Fusion Studio would be perfection. It is the sort of thing that would be worth paying for as an upgrade. Your buy once model is an amazing deal... I would be happy to pay for upgrades to ensure Fusion Studio gets the attention it deserves.

I am by no means against Resolve or Embedded Fusion and I use them too. It is just that they work best in different scenarios. Fusion Standalone serves an important need for me. I love that you gave us the 150% UI scaling. Every improvement to you make to Fusion Studio is very much appreciated.
Windows 10 Pro 1909
Asus ROG Strix X570-E
AMD Ryzen 3900X 12-Core 3.8GHz/4.6GHz
64GB DDR4-2666
Video:
2X GTX 1080 TI 11GB GDDR5
451.48 Studio Driver

Resolve 16.2.3
Fusion 16.2.3

Videoneth

• Warnings: 1

PostTue May 10, 2022 4:46 pm

YES!

I use the standalone version of Fusion sometimes, I wanted to test "Proto V2" from Patrick Stirling, unfortunately, some part of it is based on OFX plugins like Edge Detect that are part of Davinci Resolve.

Edge Detect should be in Fusion standalone (like other OFX plugins)

Windows 10
nVidia 3090 - 537.42

David Ward

PostWed May 11, 2022 7:55 am

I agree with the sentiments on this thread if only because as a standalone user who may have to feed into the Resolve workflow by importing or exporting comps the lack of OFX plugins negates that possibility when you are doing single shot stuff.
As far as the latest toys of Depth Map, Surface tracker and object tracker or magic mask being on the Colour page are concerned I would be careful what you wish for. The Depth map does exist in the Fusion page but is not good enough for 'proper' compositing. They are on the colour page because they provide quick extraction methods for simple secondary correction, not automatic rotoscoping which we all wished it could be. Play with the depth map and you will see what I mean.

Philipp Walz

PostWed May 11, 2022 12:30 pm

I think the idea of putting Fusion into Resolve so that eventually all Standalone users would switch by some day is pretty cool but it lacks one fundamental point: Performance! Fusion Tab is notably slower than Fusion Standalone and that makes switching to Resolve Fusion extremely hard cause as a vfx artist time is money. The tools are cooler and the whole system is pretty impressive but performance is bad when comparing to the standalone app.
Pete

Sam Moorfield

PostTue May 24, 2022 2:55 am

+1

It would also be a great addition to Fusion inside Resolve to have all of the Resolve FX/Open FX items available in the Fusion tab (some already are). Being able to use matte control with the 3D keyer would really elevate the user friendliness of creating garbage and solid mattes.

AustinWitherspoon

PostWed Jun 15, 2022 7:29 pm

+1

Tim Harris

PostFri Jun 17, 2022 5:58 am

+100000

Emilio Sapia

PostTue Jul 05, 2022 8:06 am

Still wanting this so bad.

Eyn-0519

PostTue Jul 05, 2022 10:10 am

There is little hope. I even think that BMD officials rarely check the discussions and opinions in the fusion section. After all, the development focus of BMD is on resolve. The tools used currently seem to be classified under the Resolve FX category. Machine tools are different, isn't it obvious? Come! Want to use this new feature? Then come to resolve! After all, this is the destination, haha, forcing users to use resolve, I think this is BMD's decision, step by step to obliterate everyone's expectations, boil the frog in warm water, anyway, everything will be over in the end, so, is this BMD deliberately Not added.

Kel Philm

PostTue Jul 05, 2022 11:13 am

Fusion in Resolve is fine for basic compositing work but not for much else. BMD must understand this. I do less than 5% of my Comps in Resolve and my work is 30% Colourist, 70% VFX (Usually on the same project). I've written my own VFX connect to create my Fusion standalone Comps from Resolve and organise the VFX shots (in ACES) into the timeline. The fact that this Tool set incompatibility exists between the two versions is bizarre, and difficulty in doing so cannot be used as an excuse.

This will soon be one of the top ten responded to Fusion posts with all replies 100% in favour.

So is it just laziness or deliberate neglect?

Kristof Indeherberge

PostWed Jul 20, 2022 7:46 am

Kel Philm wrote:So is it just laziness or deliberate neglect?

Ugh, the fact that this still hasn't happened is mind boggling. It feels super claustrophobic having to work in a Fusion tab, let alone inefficient on many levels. Resolve users have had the Fu tab for a while now. Good. Now how about showing us Fu standalone users some love, BMD?

In short, +INF from this user.

Chad Capeland

PostWed Jul 20, 2022 5:55 pm

Kel Philm wrote:Resolve and Standalone versions really should have this compatibility.

That's the weird part. Why would BMD want a comp, setting, macro, whatever to only work in one application and not the other? Users expect that if they can do something in Resolve, they should be able to do it in Fusion Studio and vice versa.

Kel Philm wrote:So is it just laziness or deliberate neglect?

Of course it is deliberate. It's not because the tools wouldn't work in Fusion Studio. Consider that they intentionally neutered the Loader and Saver in Resolve. It serves no purpose other than to make customer created assets from being interchangeable.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

Gedaly Guberek

PostFri Jul 29, 2022 11:18 am

+1

Would love to play with Resolve FX in Fusion Studio.

Kristof Indeherberge

PostThu Sep 01, 2022 8:16 am

Hey Peter Chamberlain, what's the official BMD stance?

Bump and ++.

Eyn-0519

PostThu Sep 01, 2022 8:47 am

The status quo is that, rather than listening to users, I think BMD is more willing to make decisions directly for users, and they don't care how important this feature is to us.

Hendrik Proosa

PostThu Sep 01, 2022 9:19 am

Kristof Indeherberge wrote:Hey Peter Chamberlain, what's the official BMD stance?

They never give any stances or roadmaps or statements about future, "it's the policy"
I do stuff.

Florian Hirschmann

PostThu Sep 01, 2022 10:05 pm

+1

Kristof Indeherberge

PostFri Sep 02, 2022 7:49 am

Yes, BMD's track record of ignoring the Fusion section of the forum, their refusal to answer questions related to Fu standalone... We're left guessing and have to draw our own conclusions, right? It's easy for them to sustain this ******* behavior online.

High time some journalist carrying a lot of clout steps up and interviews them during one of the trade shows and asks the right questions. I want to know what their motivation is. I'm tired of hearing somebody who signed whatever NDA or is on the beta program making claims they are talking to devs and it's up to us to be constructive, patient and understanding. That we need to explain yet again the why and how. To stop being so "emotional." Nah, BMD get off your high horse and address this situation. How about giving answers?

Vonk! This particular topic needs periodic bumping so that it remains in plain sight on the forum. It's an example and testimony of bad policy for all to see.

Kel Philm

PostSat Sep 03, 2022 10:45 pm

It is bizarre in this age of open source and customer focused software development that they continue to keep its customers at arms length from the development process (when it ever happens in Fusion). I don't think Fusion can last like this, the only reason it and Nuke are still here is because someone has not jumped into the space yet.

What we are now seeing with GPU's now running the show on 3D/VFX software and some editing software will happen with Compositing (IMO), it wont be a tinker here and there process to improve things, I think it will be a ground up rewrite that is required. Blender have started the ball rolling but unless they decide to go all in (I don't think they will, compositing is just a nice addition for them) I think we may see a new player emerge.

Neither Foundry or BMD have a huge amount of customer loyalty in this space as they know they have the market cornered. The market is ready for someone else to stand up.

Oh and +1.

Lennart Holterman

PostThu Nov 03, 2022 11:32 am

Yes I would love that too
Especially the Depth map :-)

UserNoah

PostFri Nov 11, 2022 8:53 pm

Technically not an OFX Plugin in Resolve but I wanna note that the Magic mask has found it’s way into fusion. Both the Page and Standalone.
It’s a great addition. Hopefully the underlying ML model will continue to be trained so it can get better and better with new updates.
I like how they brought it over with a smart usage of the Fusion Controls.
I’ve only played around with it a little on my MacBook but it seemed reasonably fast. Will certainly speed up (more detailed) garbage mattes and creating masks for slight color changes.
Hopefully we can get the denoisers in standalone next.

Kel Philm

PostFri Nov 11, 2022 9:18 pm

Kristof Indeherberge wrote:Yes, BMD's track record of ignoring the Fusion section of the forum, their refusal to answer questions related to Fu standalone...

Kristof, this is just not true. Peter Chamberlain (I believe the Fusion Product Manager?) has just recently responded to a users comment.

Peter Chamberlain wrote:please refrain from shouting... all caps

On the plus side I played a bit with Magic Mask the other day (In Resolve) and was very impressed, a lot of this ML stuff is interesting but not that useful, I can see this being a huge time saver for some tasks.

Now if we could just get the those other tools over as well!

bentheanimator

PostMon Nov 14, 2022 4:32 pm

The thing about Compositing VS. Editing is that for every one editor, you can have three or four compositors feeding them comps. Resolve is a super heavy program that requires extra RAM and video cards to properly work in. We can render comps on laptops if we need to. Having to install an SQL database for comp work is insane. It kinda defeats all the comp pipelines that rely on changing out properties in the .comp file with a text edit. We routinely copy and paste flows from two or three open comps and crank out stuff. It would be silly to have to:

Launch Resolve.
Open an old project.
Look for a Bin with the Fusion comp we need.
Copy the nodes to a text file.
Close the Project.
Open the new Project.
Go to the bin with the Fusion Comp.
Open the Fusion Comp.
Paste the node flow into the Fusion Comp.
Realize that I missed a node when copying.

REPEAT ENTIRE PROCESS!

or.
Open new_file.001.comp
Open old_file.004.comp
Copy Nodes.
Paste Nodes.
Select old_file tab and find more nodes.

I like Resolve but it's not where my team does the heavy lifting.
Resolve & Fusion Studio 18.6.5
Windows 10
Intel Xeon CPU 2699A @ 2.40GHz | 128GB RAM | 2xRTX3090 | 512NVME System | 8TB NMVE Scratch | 80TB 8Gbps Fiber

MacOS 12.7.2
MacBook Pro 13,3 | 16GB | Radeon 460 4GB | 256GB System | 256GB Scratch

Tomasz

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 12:14 pm

+1!
Previous

Return to Fusion