Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

CookTorrance node

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Ed Addis

CookTorrance node

PostThu May 05, 2022 11:33 am

I've connected a colour texture media node to the diffuse colour material input, expecting to see the node display the colour/pattern, but nothing happens. Is there some setting I need to make in DVR for this to work? I'm basically following instructions from a tutorial.

Sam Steti

Re: CookTorrance node

PostThu May 05, 2022 3:43 pm

Not in front of me, but did you try putting a ReplaceMaterial node inside ? Alternatively, are you sure this is a texture, or a diffuse ?
If it's a "normal", you should put a BumpMap node between it and the CT, and change the BM node parameter to bump map (and not height map)
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Ed Addis

PostThu May 05, 2022 3:55 pm

Sorry - I don't know where to insert the ReplaceMaterial node. The MediaIn node is a diffuse map downloaded from Polyhaven - castle_brick_02_red_diff_4k.jpg. I'm just trying to copy exactly what the tutorial did, but with no success. None of the other textures I'm using are working either.

Ed Addis

PostFri May 06, 2022 10:16 am

Nobody knows the answer???

Sander de Regt

PostFri May 06, 2022 10:23 am

Without seeing your nodes and how you've connected the to each other it's really difficult to know the answer.

What object are you using the material on? Which node did you expect to display the colour/pattern?
We need a little more info to help you better.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Sam Steti

PostFri May 06, 2022 10:39 am

Ed Addis wrote:Sorry - I don't know where to insert the ReplaceMaterial node. The MediaIn node is a diffuse map downloaded from Polyhaven - castle_brick_02_red_diff_4k.jpg. I'm just trying to copy exactly what the tutorial did, but with no success. None of the other textures I'm using are working either.

Sorry : when I wrote "inside", I meant "in between" (the diffuse and the CookTorrance).
To help a little more, 1/ I can tell you it would be a lot easier for you to post here your node flow : select all your nodes > copy > paste here in a post > select all you pasted and cick the "code" button above...
2/ please be aware the CookTorrance is super handy BUT you still have to be a little specific about what material you connect it to. For example, when you write "diffuse" and "texture", I wonder wether it's really the diffuse OR the "normals", which includes the relief of the surface it's going onto (but it may just be my own interpretation :) )
Post the code, it will ease everything
Last edited by Sam Steti on Fri May 06, 2022 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ed Addis

PostFri May 06, 2022 2:01 pm

Sander de Regt wrote:Without seeing your nodes and how you've connected the to each other it's really difficult to know the answer.

What object are you using the material on? Which node did you expect to display the colour/pattern?
We need a little more info to help you better.

At this stage I'm just very simply connecting a texture node (from a file downloaded from Polyhaven, castle_brick_02_red_diff_4k.jpg), to the Diffuse Color Material input of the CookTorrance node. I've watched this being done on a YouTube tutorial, and with the CookTorrance node displayed in the viewer, the white sphere should change to the colour/pattern of the texture file, but it doesn't change for me.

I'll provide whatever other info you need to help me solve this.

Thanks!

Ed

Ed Addis

PostFri May 06, 2022 2:06 pm

Code: Select all
{
   Tools = ordered() {
      MediaIn1 = MediaIn {
         ExtentSet = true,
         CustomData = { MediaProps = { MEDIA_NUM_LAYERS = 0, MEDIA_FORMAT_TYPE = "JPEG", MEDIA_LAYER_DESC = {
               }, MEDIA_NAME = "castle_brick_02_red_diff_4k.jpg", MEDIA_HEIGHT = 4096, MEDIA_PATH = "E:/video projects/salut d'amour 2/media in/castle_brick_02_red_diff_4k.jpg", MEDIA_START_FRAME = 0, MEDIA_SRC_FRAME_RATE = 24, MEDIA_MARK_OUT = 0, MEDIA_WIDTH = 4096, MEDIA_NUM_FRAMES = 1, MEDIA_MARK_IN = 0, MEDIA_PAR = 1 }, },
         Inputs = {
            GlobalOut = Input { Value = 119, },
            MediaID = Input { Value = "e60b65f1-0692-4b6a-9c6e-33055b009a74", },
            Layer = Input { Value = "", },
            ClipTimeEnd = Input { Value = 0, },
            HoldLastFrame = Input { Value = 119, },
            ["Gamut.SLogVersion"] = Input { Value = FuID { "SLog2" }, },
         },
         ViewInfo = OperatorInfo { Pos = { 114.949, -77.8211 } },
      },
      CookTorrance1 = MtlCookTorrance {
         CtrlWZoom = false,
         Inputs = {
            ["Diffuse.Color.Material"] = Input {
               SourceOp = "MediaIn1",
               Source = "Output",
            },
            MaterialID = Input { Value = 2, },
         },
         ViewInfo = OperatorInfo { Pos = { 172.283, -29.9423 } },
      }
   }
}

I understand what you've written about the CT node, but what I'm trying to do is so simple and basic, just to get it working, and I think I've copied exactly what's being done in the tutorial.

Sam Steti

PostFri May 06, 2022 2:14 pm

Well, you know, I agree it appears a bit too much to you, but it's easier in order to give a real helping hand...
The problem now is that I cannot test here and now, so I'll check in a few hours ;)

Ed Addis

PostFri May 06, 2022 3:31 pm

Sam Steti wrote:Well, you know, I agree it appears a bit too much to you, but it's easier in order to give a real helping hand...
The problem now is that I cannot test here and now, so I'll check in a few hours ;)

I'm absolutely happy to send whatever info you need to help with this. Thanks very much for your help. Please let me know what you find.

xunile

PostFri May 06, 2022 4:55 pm

I downloaded the 2k version of the texture, connected it to a CookTorrance node, and it shows in the viewer like expected. Can you post a screenshot of what your layout looks like including the viewers?
Attachments
2022-05-06.jpg
2022-05-06.jpg (262.71 KiB) Viewed 1084 times
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

Ed Addis

PostFri May 06, 2022 5:12 pm

Some progress to report. Previously, I was working in a fusion composition with a number of other nodes, not connected to this problem. I've now added the diffuse colour file to the timeline, and started a new fusion composition in that clip, and I now find the CT node is working as expected, but only for that texture. I still get no effect when I connect any other textures.

You can see how confused I am with this. Do I need to have all the texture image files I'm using actually in the timeline? I just wish I could find a tutorial to explain how all this works, without assuming any previous knowledge!

Ed Addis

PostFri May 06, 2022 5:21 pm

xunile wrote:I downloaded the 2k version of the texture, connected it to a CookTorrance node, and it shows in the viewer like expected. Can you post a screenshot of what your layout looks like including the viewers?

fusion materials problem.jpg
fusion materials problem.jpg (286.96 KiB) Viewed 1074 times

I realise it makes no sense applying a brick texture to a chair, but this is the current stage of a large amount of experimentation, trying to get it working at all!

Ed Addis

PostSat May 07, 2022 2:09 pm

It seems that I can only apply a texture file when my fusion composition is actually within the clip for that file?

Sander de Regt

PostSat May 07, 2022 2:13 pm

Since you're using MediaIns there's a good chance that this might be a Resolve-related issue.
Does this work for you in Fusion standalone?
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Ed Addis

PostSat May 07, 2022 2:28 pm

Sander de Regt wrote:Since you're using MediaIns there's a good chance that this might be a Resolve-related issue.
Does this work for you in Fusion standalone?

Not really sure how to use Fusion standalone? If I use it within DVR, I can only get this to work when I'm working in a clip of the texture file I want to use. But then I can't use any other textures.

Sander de Regt

PostSat May 07, 2022 2:33 pm

The Fusion page in Resolve doesn't support every file format that Fusion stand alone supports.
So there is a chance that you need to put all your textures on the timeline as seperate clips before Resolve will 'allow' them in the Fusion page. I am not sure if that's the case here, that's why I was asking about Fusion standalone. But that is because I presumed you're using Resolve Studio instead of Free Resolve.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Ed Addis

PostSat May 07, 2022 4:27 pm

Sander de Regt wrote:The Fusion page in Resolve doesn't support every file format that Fusion stand alone supports.
So there is a chance that you need to put all your textures on the timeline as seperate clips before Resolve will 'allow' them in the Fusion page. I am not sure if that's the case here, that's why I was asking about Fusion standalone. But that is because I presumed you're using Resolve Studio instead of Free Resolve.

I'm using Free Resolve. How do I use Fusion stand alone? Is it a separate download? Even with all the textures on the timeline, I can still only use the one whose clip I'm working in - the clip that is highlighted in the timeline.

Sam Steti

PostWed May 11, 2022 7:45 am

Hey,
Didn't answer cos' I read it started to turn into a potential Resolve/FuStandalone issue, and I admit I would have tried in Fusion standalone too... I also saw there was no more Fusion (else than Studio) standalone to DL on the website and therefore understand your problem.
However, I'll try lthis week probably at least because I told you so, and then will report here...

Sam Steti

PostWed May 11, 2022 10:23 am

Well, I don't see anything so far, because your code doesn't show much... To conclude, I suggest you don't forget to add your materials to the media pool prior to your work in the fusion tab.

Return to Fusion