Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Mocha Pro with Fusion

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Tiburon_83

Mocha Pro with Fusion

PostMon May 09, 2022 7:05 pm

Hi,

I'm a complete beginner with Fusion and am doing some practice exercises to get familiar with the software. In some of the training footage BM provides, there is a van with tracking marks on the side. I've successfully painted out the marks, tracked in that painted footage, and added a new logo using the native tools in Fusion, however I am struggling integrating Mocha Pro (which I prefer to use for planar tracking).

The issue I'm having is that when I paste in my tracking data, and connect that with the freeze frame paint job +mask combo I have, there seems to be a time offset and nothing comes out correctly. With the native tools you can export the tracking data to a planar transform node and this moves your paint job (masked off clean plate) in conjunction with the track. When I try to do this with Mocha, it is off and the clean plate is offset.

I realize this may sound confusing, but hopefully someone who uses Mocha in conjunction with Fusion has an idea of what I have done wrong.

Thanks in advance, Ryan

Sam Steti

Re: Mocha Pro with Fusion

PostTue May 10, 2022 7:12 am

You mean you use Mocha standalone and export the date right ? (not the mocha pro ofx node inside fusion I mean)
Then first check you have exactly the same in and out and framerate of your clip in Mocha and Fusion. Also don't forget to connect the BG clip to mocha's node, otherwise it won't act as a planartransform as you expect.
It may be something else to troubleshoot but these are basic but frequent issues that happen.
Anyway you have to have a rock solid track... Finally check mocha's node parameters and the way you connect you patch in connection with what you ask mocha to do...
If it doesn't work in the end, copy all your nodes and paste here...
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Tiburon_83

PostTue May 10, 2022 5:57 pm

Thanks Sam,

I don't see my initial reply, but in any case, I got it to work by using the Mocha Pro node as a kind of Merge. Essentially connected the foreground clean plate I made and insterted it inside Mocha, the clicked "render composite" inside of the Mocha node control. I exported the tracking data and connected what I was tracking onto the surface to it. There's probably a simpler way you can do it with greater control but this is what I did to get it to work.

If you know of a cleaner way, I am all ears and I appreciate your advice.
Attachments
BeforeAndAfter_w_NodeTree.jpg
Here is the tree w before and after for reference.
BeforeAndAfter_w_NodeTree.jpg (397.19 KiB) Viewed 876 times

Sam Steti

PostWed May 11, 2022 7:40 am

Well why not :)
Actually you could have made it inside of Mocha (at least according to your screenshot) : you create a cleanplate from mocha, blend your logo on your van in PS for example on this very cleanplate pic, and depending on the length of your clip redo this operation a couple of time if the luma has changed...
Then apply it ticking "cleanplates only" and "interpolation" or '"linear"...
Honnestly, I think I'd probably use the planar tracker inside Fusion to do this basic job, but well, only the result matters uh ? ;)
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Return to Fusion