Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Interpolation of two svg files

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Lion_123

Interpolation of two svg files

PostThu Jun 16, 2022 4:19 pm

Hello all,

i've got two svg files consiting of a circle each. The first svg file has got a circle with a radius x and the second svg file has got a circle with the radius 2*x. Both circles share the same central point. What I would like to do is to create a video that shows the circle expanding, beginning with the radius of the first svg file and ending the radius of the second svg file. Can you tell me if davinci resolve has such a feature? The way I see it such a functionality would need to read the points of the svg files and then perform an interpolation. Thanks for your help in advance!

Best regards

xunile

Re: Interpolation of two svg files

PostFri Jun 17, 2022 3:47 am

Are you wanting both circles on screen or just one expanding to twice its radius over time?
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

Tim Harris

PostFri Jun 17, 2022 5:23 am

Yes it is quite simple.
Set a keyframe for both of your circle shapes the large and the small circle.
Select both of your nodes with the circle shapes in the node layout.
Open the keyframe view and you should see them. Open the dropdowns on each to reveal the polyline and you will see the two keyframes you made, one on each.
select the keyframe of the large circle only then hold down Ctr and left click and drag it to the small circle polyline. you will see an icon with a little plus appear. just move to where you would like that keyframe and release. Your small circle will now have an animation moving from small to large.

Alternately you can create two keyframes on the small circle one at the start where you want the circle to be small and another where you what it to be large.
Add one keyframe to the large circle, then open the keyframe view, right click on the keyframe that is there and from the menu that appears select "Copy Value".
Select the small circle and in the keyframe view and select the second keyframe you made for where you want the circle to be large, right click and from the menu that appears select "Past Points/Value".
Your small circle will now animate from small to large.
I like this method more, but you have a choice of which one you find to be more comfortable when working.

Hope this helps.

Lion_123

PostFri Jun 17, 2022 1:29 pm

xunile wrote:Are you wanting both circles on screen or just one expanding to twice its radius over time?

The latter one. Wanted to post a youtube video of a simple circle expanding but sadly I am not allowed to do this. Might be because im very new to this forum.

Basically I just want to create a video that includes shapes I've created on my svg files. Those shapes usually have a more complex geometry as a simple circle but the task stays the same. I'd like the shapes to expand and shrink over time. Like for example when you have a frame of a heat map showing the temperatures in colours on day 1 and day 2 each. In order to make the progress of the temperature look more smooth I would like to interpolate the shapes.

@ Tim Harris: Thanks I will try that out.

GalinMcMahon

PostFri Jun 17, 2022 6:29 pm

Wouldn't a simple zoom accomplish this?
Water cooled Windows 11 laptop
i9 12th gen - 64GB RAM - 16GB 3080ti
2TB 4th gen nvme main - 4TB 4th gen nvme scratch
Micro panel (thank you BM :) ) - Stream Deck
Resolve Studio 18.5
BenQ ultrawide - DeckLink 4k mini via Sonnet - 48” LG C2 OLED

Lion_123

PostSat Jun 18, 2022 5:12 am

GalinMcMahon wrote:Wouldn't a simple zoom accomplish this?

Not when the polylines become more complex I think. Let's say we have a simple circle for frame 1 and a rectangle for frame 2. The circle is way smaller than the rectangle so that it is fully located within the rectangle. What I would like to do is to make the circle spread with each frame so that it eventually becomes the rectangle. The final video then should show the circle becoming a rectangle over time.

Return to Fusion