Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Odd distortion effect in textured background-Resolve Fusion

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Mike Flynn

Odd distortion effect in textured background-Resolve Fusion

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 11:44 pm

Hello fusion gurus. I have a fusion clip in resolve that I have a small issue with. In this clip there are 2 elements. An FBX file of some 3D text and a logo from Blender and a background plate of a wood texture. Here is the node tree for the background.

Everything works just fine except that when I render out the animation that consists of the camera sweeping across the text in front of the background the background exhibits a bizarre wobble to it. Here is a link to a video of the clip's beginning with the wobble in the background.

This is how the background is defined in Davinci Resolve's fusion page:

Can anyone shed any light on why this happens. It's only present in about the first 15 frames or so of the animation. Since I was pressed to deliver the results to the customer I trimmed off the beginning and that combined with a fade in hid this artifact and the customer was happy with the results. But I would like to know what is going on here.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Mike Flynn on Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Roberts

Blackmagic Design

Re: Odd distortion effect in textured background-Resolve Fus

PostFri Jul 01, 2022 1:08 am

Could be not enough subdivisions on the background plain, more polygons = better accuracy

UserNoah

PostFri Jul 01, 2022 9:03 am

Are you using the Software Renderer?
Because I found something similar some time ago:

I also submitted it as a bug and the support mentioned it was passed to the devs.
But that was February 2021 and it's still there in Fusion 18, so either it's very low priority or the bugs submitted to the EMEA-Region don't actually make it to the devs.

A workaround is to use the OpenGL renderer. It doesn't feature all the blending modes and in some cases is slower than Software but at least it doesn't flicker.
Increasing the Subdivision does also help but doesn't get rid of it completely so depending on the shot you will have to increase it quite dramatically which slows everything down more. But it is an option.

Mike Flynn

PostFri Jul 01, 2022 2:10 pm

Thanks - I will give those a try.

Mike Flynn

PostFri Jul 01, 2022 4:49 pm

On the mac it does not look like I can change the render method. I suspect it uses Metal and will not allow openGL. I increased the subdivisions from 10 to 30 and that got rid of a lot of it. Increasing to 60 got rid of all of the issue. So thanks for that suggestion. Of course the render time went through the roof tho...

Return to Fusion