Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Why is Fusion performance slow using proxy files?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

mivey4

Why is Fusion performance slow using proxy files?

PostSun Jul 31, 2022 12:37 pm

My understanding is that using proxy files should speed up the general workflow working on the timeline, which seems to be true when dealing with raw unedited footage. But I've been trying to get more familiar with Fusion and have noted that my performance is greatly degraded even when using proxy files. Is this normal?

I've also observed that even after I've allowed my video content to play all the way through within Fusion so it can be rendered to hopefully acquire a more snappy response on a subsequent playback (after rendering. e.g. the green horizontal line has been drawn from start to finish). That is has taken an excess of somewhere around 30 mins. for a 3 min. long clip

Is there some setting that I'm overlooking? Do I need to acquire a fast processing eGPU to get a snappier workflow and if so, what is recommended?

As it presently stands, I can work fluently with simple transitions, title edits and color adjustments but beyond that; if it involves using Fusion my workflow is severely degraded and practically impossible to work with.

How might I fix this?
• iMac Pro 27 - Monterey OSX 12.4 • 3.2 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon • 256 GB RAM
• Radeon Pro Vega 56 8GB • DaVinci Resolve 18 Studio

Sander de Regt

Re: Why is Fusion performance slow using proxy files?

PostSun Jul 31, 2022 12:41 pm

What kind of effects are you trying to do inside of Fusion?
Because 30 mins for a 3 minute long clip could be quite snappy or it could be slow depending on what you're doing. So before giving you some advice a little more background info would be most welcome.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

mivey4

PostSun Jul 31, 2022 12:57 pm

Sure.

I am performing a simply Green Key against a static background image using the Boris FX Primatte Studio. So it's nothing elaborate. I would think the task couldn't be much more simplistic. Below is the screenshot of how I have it set up.

Screen Shot 2022-07-31 at 8.54.19 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-31 at 8.54.19 AM.png (44.75 KiB) Viewed 1739 times

Sander de Regt

PostSun Jul 31, 2022 1:05 pm

I don't know the Boris FX plugin, so I have no idea how well it performs.
I am not even sure how working with proxy files works in combination with Resolve/Fusion.

In Fusion SA proxy is used for interactive work (so it's quicker) but final renders are always in full rez, because otherwise what's the point? I don't know if Resolves uses the full rez info when rendering the green line. So that's something to figure out.

If you're working at 30 fps and you're doing a 3 min piece in 30 minutes, you're at 3 frames a second which isn't too bad when rendering depending on resolution.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

mivey4

PostMon Aug 01, 2022 11:03 am

Thanks for the response. I finally figured it out. Apparently Resolve will attempt to process every track on the Edit timeline even if the video is turned off and you're working within Fusion. Whether or not it's attempting to process the Edit content is my guess but it does affect the CPU resources in some way.

After removing the videos that were turned off on the timeline instead of making them non visible, I regained some significant performance. Lesson learned.

evanfotis

PostSun Jan 01, 2023 10:25 am

So Boris primate is not GPU accelerated in resolve?
On an M1 Max it takes way too long when applied in color page.

Return to Fusion