Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

tracker issues in fusion

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Mark-DaDrood

tracker issues in fusion

PostSun Aug 07, 2022 4:51 pm

I reckon it might be me being tired from the whole day spent working on DVR, it might be me being noob, but i just know since i bought this software i feel so very often like a freaking ping pong ball between moments of super excitement for the potentiality of this software and the huge frustration for what really seems like annoying bugs just coming out of nothing and for which i have no explanation neither workarounds (unless i redo everything from scratch which can be seriously turning off any motivation).

Enough of me moaning. Here's the example of one of these situations: i'm working on a short clip in which i just wanted to change the color of the eyes of the subject while it moves. It's something i already did in the past, but just to be sure, i followed another tutorial anyway as i still need time to get the hand with DVR. So i track the first eye, color it. Fine. The tutorial ends saying "do the same thing for the other eye", obviously. There's no need to make a tutorial for the same stuff right? And i agree. So i basically copy the procedure and immediately the mess starts... :?
The tracker doesn't track a damn thing for the second eye, and it also makes the first eye tracked losing its data. Yes, i did create a new track on the list. Yes, i did try adding a new tracker node to do everything from scratch. No matter what i do, it doesn't work. Not to speak about the green tracker with the target, disappearing as soon as i click and drag it to adjust it, making the adjustment really difficult and not precise. If i go and start a new project, i can see the tracker target with no probs.
These things drive me crazy cause they apparently have absolutely no rational explanation.
I'm at a loss honestly. If it's me being dumb, please tell me and possibly help me sort out this situation. Thanks for your patience

xunile

Re: tracker issues in fusion

PostSun Aug 07, 2022 6:24 pm

Can you post a screenshot of the issue or even better a screen recording showing the issue?

I'm not sure how you are setting up the Tracker, but I would not put it in line with your footage. I would set it up like I have below, then if you are using a mask to limit your eye color change, I would right-click the Center of your mask and use Connect To> TrackerPath>Position for the tracking.
Attachments
2022-08-07.jpg
2022-08-07.jpg (189.64 KiB) Viewed 1031 times
2022-08-07 (1).jpg
2022-08-07 (1).jpg (192.43 KiB) Viewed 1031 times
2022-08-07 (2).jpg
2022-08-07 (2).jpg (195.77 KiB) Viewed 1031 times
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

Mark-DaDrood

PostMon Aug 08, 2022 1:49 pm

Hey, thanks so much for the reply with images. I really appreaciate that :) That's how i set my tracker node too, connecting the poly masks to the specific tracker paths. But i don't understand why as soon as i try to track the second eye it loses the track record from the first one, no matter if i added a new track or even a new tracker node. For now i'm simply rotoscoping everything manually before i lose my head, since it was a short clip of about 35 frames. But i'm honestly clueless about all these "weird stuff" happening within this software (especially fusion page) and if it's bug i seriously hope it gets fixed soon, as it makes it really hard to work professionally on timed schedule.

Sander de Regt

PostMon Aug 08, 2022 4:06 pm

The only thing I can think of top of my head is: did you *turn off* the first tracker when you tracked the 2nd eye? The tracker checkboxes have 3 states, empty, filled and checked. If they're checked they're retracked every time you hit 'track'. The filled and empty states ignore this and keep the original tracked result. Could this be the case?
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Mark-DaDrood

PostFri Aug 12, 2022 8:30 am

Sorry for the late reply Sander (i didn't get notifications even if i subscribed to the post). I don't remember the state of the tracker honestly, still quite noob here. I will double check this next time i'll use it. Thanks for your kindness :)

Return to Fusion