Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Resizing migraine

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

BrucePPV

Resizing migraine

PostThu Aug 11, 2022 6:41 pm

The resizing in Fusion drives me nuts. It's fine if I'm creating a Fusion comp and add a background node that makes everything 1920x1080. It works perfect. Until it doesn't.
I have a video clip on my timeline that's 3840x2160 that I split in 2 in order to freeze it on that frame. I selected the 2nd clip and clicked the Fusion tab to open it in Fusion. Now I want to composite another clip that's 1920x10980 on top of the other clip, but I can't because they're 2 different sizes.
If I try adding a background node, that doesn't work, because it's at the larger size.
How do I fix this?
Thanks

Sven H

Re: Resizing migraine

PostThu Aug 11, 2022 6:49 pm

BrucePPV wrote:The resizing in Fusion drives me nuts. It's fine if I'm creating a Fusion comp and add a background node that makes everything 1920x1080. It works perfect. Until it doesn't.
I have a video clip on my timeline that's 3840x2160 that I split in 2 in order to freeze it on that frame. I selected the 2nd clip and clicked the Fusion tab to open it in Fusion. Now I want to composite another clip that's 1920x10980 on top of the other clip, but I can't because they're 2 different sizes.
If I try adding a background node, that doesn't work, because it's at the larger size.
How do I fix this?
Thanks
use either a crop node or a resize node, depending on what you want to do

Sven H

PostThu Aug 11, 2022 6:55 pm

BrucePPV wrote:The resizing in Fusion drives me nuts. It's fine if I'm creating a Fusion comp and add a background node that makes everything 1920x1080. It works perfect. Until it doesn't.
How do I fix this?
Thanks
actually your understanding of how sizing in fusion works is kinda off it seems.

at each step in the node graph the image has a certain size. That size is basically defined by the first node (if it remains the background layer in all of your merge operations) in the chain. if that's a background node with FHD as default, you get FHD. if the first thing is a video file, you get the resolution of the video from the metadata.

to change the resolution of the image you would need to add a resize or crop node or comp it OVER (meaning foreground) a node with different resolution.

I'd suggest you always pipe inputs with a loader node or by using a MediaIn node.

going the route of right-clicking in the timeline and chosing "new fusion comp" can make it complicated (because if will default the resolution to your timeline res)

Sam Steti

PostFri Aug 12, 2022 11:00 am

When needed, I usually play with a letterbox node...
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Return to Fusion