Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Use several clips with masks?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

jdiezcom

Use several clips with masks?

PostSun Sep 18, 2022 10:14 am

Hi!

A very simple question; I have like 10 media clips that need to apply a shape mask so they reveal in succession. Same shape, same time; first clip, then appears second with a mask, third, etc I would say they are in layers. However fusion doesn't work with layers. How can I do that?
Thanks a ton!

Sander de Regt

Re: Use several clips with masks?

PostSun Sep 18, 2022 10:20 am

Line all of them up in time and then merge every single one, one after another.
It's probably best to merge them all over a solid BG.

Create the shape mask you want to create with the timing you want.

If you're new at this I'd suggest copy/pasting the mask ten times and then off-setting its keyframes manually in the Spline Editor.

If you want to do it in a more advanced way you can alter these keyframes with a calculated off-set modifier that can be changed so that all masks move their keyframes procedurally but that's slightly more complicated.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

jdiezcom

PostSun Sep 18, 2022 4:19 pm

Hi!

Thanks for your help! I know how to apply an effect and the mask. However, I think I have to see a basic tutorial first as I don't understand how to use the "layers" in fusion. I mean, how do I place let's say 10 clips one one top of another (that will be with traditional layers) to use effects? If you tell me a tutorial with some hints, that will be great! Or a screen capture? Thanks again!

jdiezcom

PostSun Sep 18, 2022 5:12 pm

This is how I made it in Apple Motion 5. Oops! Can't add an image! Sorry!

Sander de Regt

PostSun Sep 18, 2022 7:30 pm

You have to have a minimum number of posts on the forum, before you can post images. I think the number is 10, but I could be wrong.

The easiest way for me to get my head around the Fusion system is by stepping away from the layer idea and starting to look at the Fusion flow as a flow chart (it's even called a flow) So you have to see it as a 'you start at A, then you do B, then you do C etc. You can visually trace your steps through a Fusion flow/comp and you can't get lost as easily as in a layer based system.

So in your case you'd start with the idea: I need to put 10 things on top of each other.
Now in Fusion you always need a valid Background layer for a comp to work.
So you start with a Background tool.

BG --->

Then you want to add your first 'layer' on top of that. So you add that layer and you combine it with the background by using a Merge tool (because you merge two items together) Then you repeat this until you have all your 'layers' on top of each other.

So you get something like

Complayout.jpg
Complayout.jpg (24.78 KiB) Viewed 479 times

I think this basic workflow is pretty well explained in the Fusion/Resolve manual and training materials, and if you look up Youtube tutorials you will find some pretty decent introduction to Fusion tutorials.

This is one that I did:

But if you're starting out there are better ones out there for that purpose. But check out some of the Fusion training from Davinci and see if it helps. If not, feel free to come back. We're right here to help.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

jdiezcom

PostWed Sep 21, 2022 6:27 pm

Hi!

I think I have to watch a series of fusion tutorials first of all!
So I subscribed to your channel! And see others.
Thanks so much!

Return to Fusion