Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

What balance of CPU:GPU power is optimal for render nodes?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Robert Persson

What balance of CPU:GPU power is optimal for render nodes?

PostTue Sep 27, 2022 11:22 am

What balance of CPU:GPU power is optimal for a Fusion render node? In other words, if I want to buy/build a Linux or Windows box to help my Mac render Fusion projects, on which aspect of the hardware should I concentrate my spending?

I am asking because I am planning to buy a Mac Studio soon to perform a number of roles, video rendering only being one of them. The difference in price between the lower-end and higher-end Mac Studios is hefty, and in any case, I don't yet really know how much computing power I will need for my video projects, because it is only recently that I have finally acquired the floor space and other resources needed to realise them. I don't foresee any of my other projects, such as making music, requiring that kind of top-end computing power. If I can make up the difference in rendering power between the cheaper and more expensive Mac Studio models more cheaply using a separate Linux or Windows box, that would both save me money and enable me to defer the decision to buy the extra rendering power until I have a better idea of what my video projects actually entail.

If anyone has any more specific advice on render node hardware, what I would be looking for would be something which is not too noisy (because it will run in the same room in which I work, although I would only have it switched on when I have a rendering job to do, so absolute silence would not be necessary), something which is small enough to fit, say, into an IKEA Kallax cubby hole, and something which can run headless.

Return to Fusion