Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Easily Replaceable media in Fusion Comp?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

argonogra

Easily Replaceable media in Fusion Comp?

PostWed Sep 28, 2022 9:33 am

Hello Fusion gurus,

Could someone help me understand is it possible to make template with easily replaceable media in comps for a template. Is this even possible in DaVinci/Fusion in a way that I would imagine and is media used in full its source resolution, bit depth this way?

For ease to understand lets imagine 2x2 grid (split screen) that has some animations on the window size etc,

Easiest way would be to import media (video or pictures in Media pool and drag and drop that media in comp as media files or use loader) but this way it is difficult to grade and match the color in Fusion tab using color corrector node especially when footage is in RAW flat profile.

Sometimes it would be possible to grade entire comp in Color tab if the footage is used of same camera profile, but that goes too trash if there is text overlay or different color profile footage as color tab affects everything in the scene.

Idea is to make comp where (in this example 4 streams of media) are in timeline (each separate) then use each timeline as mediaIN in to comp. Logic says that this way colouring of each file could be done in DaVinci Color tab which is then sent to Fusion, but my fears is that media will loose its potential resolution, and quality as scaling and other manipulations might be done on timeline level not source.
Also that would "logically" mean that if you replace any of the Timeline footage it automatically replaces slot in comp (in first example you would need to change media in inside comp or loader and that loses meaning of template in my head - coming from after effects).

Is there better way to access Source Media used in Fusion comps via Color tab for grading each individually after comp has been created that I do not know?

Matching color whit in comps and with rest video is always a problem for me.
Not only that i constantly need to switch from DaVinci YRGB Color Managed - HDR Wide Gamut Intermediate in DaVinci Resolve Edit page to DaVinci YRGB - Rec .709-A in DaVinci Fusion.

What workflow do you guys practice? Would appreciate some wisdom and tips from people who is creating comps using different profile media in single comp and might be adding some graphics on top.
How do you make it look the best, crisp and top quality possible from source.

Thank you.

Return to Fusion