Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

"Cannot allocate memory" or "Result too large" (updated)

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Sam Steti

"Cannot allocate memory" or "Result too large" (updated)

PostThu Nov 24, 2022 4:15 pm

Hey

Keep on seeing that today on 18.1 standalone, while I was flying on the same files on 18
Edit : on 18.1.1 too

It's just a ProRes 4444 UHD with alpha : the playback is stuck, the console shows the message in the title...
Tweaking memory parameters in the pref led once to the console message "result too large"

Some one saw that (recently only) ?

Edit : as I remembered an old issue with PR with alpha, I tried the same trick to figure it out and it happened to work for that too (even if the issue is not the same) : starting Fusion after ticking "open with Rosetta" shows no issue then... :cry:

I admit I didn't try to revert to 18 cos' I have an ongoing project clip with the magic mask

Update : same on 18.1.1, M1 Monterey. With the file transcoded by shutter encoder - still in PR4444 - I have "Result too large" in the console.
STILL NO ISSUE WITH ROSETTA ON

Conclusion : if you BMD are interested in checking a file that triggers one of these fusion console message while the playback is stopped, just tell me.
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Sam Steti

Re: "Cannot allocate memory" or "Result too large" (updated)

PostMon Nov 28, 2022 8:36 am

Ok, I checked what I could, I won't go further cos' in an ongoing project now.

For me, Fusion standalone 18 and 18.1 on M1 Macs shows more or less the same issues which were on with some previous versions : instead of not supporting the alpha channel of ProRes 4444 at all, it loads the files but the playback remains stuck...
And the console shows either the 1st or the second message you can read as the title of this topic.
Ticking it and opening Fusion with Rosetta solves automatically the issue...

If those who experienced the late PR alpha support issue in the past want to check too...

DBCreative

PostFri Dec 09, 2022 5:02 am

I'm experiencing a similar problem. Using an M1-Max, Fusion 18.1.1. Every time I load a single prores 4444 clip into the project, it will not playback, Fusion will then lock up and present the spinning wheel of death. The console message reads: "cannon allocate memory, loader failed at time 0".

Sam Steti

PostFri Dec 09, 2022 9:13 am

Hey

As written above, my investigation led me to the issue which occured a few time ago with the alpha support on Mx machines in Fusion standalone.... Unfortunately, the issue was envtually fixed probably jst because there was dozens of guys writing on the same topic (look for "Whaaaaat ?" in the title I wrote :) )

And guess how to get around with that so far ? The same way we had to with that revious alpahe issue : you go to your application folder, look for Fusion ans select the app icon, cmd + 1 : "open with Rosetta"
Now the clips which were stuck aren't no more...
But yes, Rosetta... :roll:

Actually the issue fixed with 18 is recently back :cry:

DBCreative

PostFri Dec 09, 2022 5:47 pm

Using Fusion is Rosetta is not an option. If I'm going to use software that isn't optimized for the M1, I'll switch to Nuke. The only reason I continue to use Fusion Studio is that it runs natively on the M1 Macs. If BMD can't sort this stuff out and make the app usable on the M1, it may be time to consider a permanent switch.

Sam Steti

PostFri Dec 09, 2022 6:00 pm

Hey

You can yell louder if you like, check what happened in the thread I wrote about above... Dozens of guys were hammered by this very issue.
Actually it was not quite the same but we can see it's connected. I repeat : the issue is connected and was fixed, what we're experiencing now is a kind of come back of the PR4444 issue, just with another "look".

And yes, I switched to NukeX for a while cos' I'm on Fu studio on a daily basis and have tons of PR4444 to work with...

Imho, since it had been done before, BMD should't have to work a lot to fix it BUT... do they really care ?

Sam Steti

"Cannot allocate memory" or "Result too large" (18.5.1 !)

PostSat Aug 19, 2023 10:39 am

Hey

Just a word to tell the whole world... but especially BMD that this major issue I've been experiencing since Fusion Studio 18.1 is still there !

FYI, on a M1 mini here, dealing with ProRes 4444 therefore with alpha gets everything stuck and :

- either a separate pop-up window occurs ending with the "cannot allocate memory" in its message
- either the console shows first "result too large", then "cannot allocate memory" for every next frame, for instance (right now; I cut paths for comfort reasons ) :
Code: Select all
dustAussi failed to load file "/Volumes/.............Cam_04_Apple_ProRes_4444.mov" (clip "/Volumes/........Cam_04_Apple_ProRes_4444.mov" at frame 0) : Result too large
dustAussi failed at time 0
dustAussi failed to load file "/Volumes/...........Cam_04_Apple_ProRes_4444.mov" (clip "/Volumes/.................Cam_04_Apple_ProRes_4444.mov" at frame 2) : Cannot allocate memory
dustAussi failed at time 2

As you may have guessed if you you read above, ticking "open with Rosetta" solves everything... even if you know that it's no solution.

This is still an issue on 18.5.1 BMD ! Shouldn't be time to help on that ?

Sam Steti

PostSat Aug 19, 2023 10:56 am

Ah, BTW, all the same PR4444 files have been flying in Resolve's Fusion tab with no issue at all... :roll:

Sam Steti

PostTue Aug 22, 2023 7:22 am

As a bump, I'd say it strangely looks like other memory leak reported in this forum...

I'm still confused to see that the same files are ok in Rosetta mode when not in default M1 one when dealing with PR 4444, but what I read about h265 out there shows common signs of the memory filling up until everything stops...

Anyone would like to try (it would be soooo appreciated) ?
Just put several ProRes 4444 with an alpha channel in a comp - 2 or 3 are enough - and first play just to see, then render...

And BMD, my project is still available if you like, nothing like that happened in v17, at least after the alpha channel issue on ARM mac was fixed.
As a reminder, any issue I'm reporting here happens in Resolve, neither 18.. nor previous versions

Return to Fusion