Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Z depth isolation and merge

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

mrorpheus

Z depth isolation and merge

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 5:33 pm

Hi,
I'm fairly new to Davinci Resolve and Fusion, I've been using it to comp 3D renders.

I'm trying to get stars (from particles) behind and in front of the nebula using the Z-depth.

I've been trying to isolate the Z depth info from my camera image plane, the Z-depth is just the flat plane (@ -362), and I'm trying to combine this with rendered particles using the Z-depth of those particles, the problem is where I'm merging it on the node graph I don't want any other input info, I only want the Z depth info to act as a mask for the particles, I've been playing around with Merge -depth merge, but it seems to only work with a foreground/background images, but I already have my background on a different pipe, I want to Z-depth mask the stars before applying effects and then combining with the background, I hope this makes sense.

I've included a node graph image here's a rough overview of the scene:
Camera1& 1_1 > Renderer3D1 - this is my 3D camera imported with a image plane of the rendered images, with Z depth turned on.
I merge this on Merge2 over the background stars.
Merge6 is some middle distance star particles which are masked behind the main nebula.

Merge4 is the foreground stars that I want to have the z depth on but I can't do it on this node as I'm applying effects to the stars and the Z depth messes those effects up as the stars are just dots of light.
so I'm using...

Merge 7 above the FX - If I connect the Renderer3D1 even via a Channelboolean with Z depth I can't seem to just get the stars to occlude/mask based on the Z-depth info, it's always mixing the image info.

If I set the channelboolean to clear + Zdepth info it still doesn't work, no Z-depth is piped, the closest I've got is making everything black (in channelboolean) then Z merging and screen adding the image over the Nebula on Merge4, but it still messes up the FX's, I want to just Z-depth occlude some of the particles based on distance.

Am I missing something, should I be using some kind of mask node?

Ideally I would like a custom z depth with a mix between a set distance and some variations, maybe as a noise mixed with the original nebula image then this set as a modifier to the Z-depth, so the nebula Z-depth would be say from -300 to -400, to add some variation to the stars coming through the nebula.

I've been playing around with this for a while and it's really stumping me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
Davinci_Resolve-Fusion_Nebula03-ZdepthParticles_01.jpg
Davinci_Resolve-Fusion_Nebula03-ZdepthParticles_01.jpg (546.58 KiB) Viewed 361 times

Return to Fusion