Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Pro Tip Needed: Two Automatically Resizing Text Boxes

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

CatalynJer

Pro Tip Needed: Two Automatically Resizing Text Boxes

PostThu Dec 15, 2022 7:56 pm

Hello dear Fusion masters,

I have a simple project. Two text boxes that expand automatically to the right, as you write more text. This is done through the ''shading'' properties on the Text Node. See image below:

Screenshot 2022-12-15 214022.png
Screenshot 2022-12-15 214022.png (114.76 KiB) Viewed 2584 times

However what I need is for the two text boxes to be connected together. So that when I write in the first box (Text 1), the second box (Text 2) moves along. See image below:

Img 2.png
Img 2.png (13.19 KiB) Viewed 2584 times

However when I type in the first text box, what I get is this (the second box doesn't move):

Img 1.png
Img 1.png (11.85 KiB) Viewed 2584 times

How can I get ''Text 2'' to be tracked/glued to the first text box's right side edge. So that I dont have to manually move it to the right place every time I write something in the first text box.

In After Effects this is doable, but I can not figure it out in Fusion. Please help me solve this puzzle so I can migrate my title created in AE to Fusion. Yes, my life depends on this.

Thanks for reading. :)

CatalynJer

Re: Pro Tip Needed: Two Automatically Resizing Text Boxes

PostTue Dec 27, 2022 11:10 pm

Starting to think this is not possible... Anyone? I've wasted way too much time searching for this :D

CatalynJer

PostMon Jan 16, 2023 3:07 am

Devs? Any update/solution on this?

Sander de Regt

PostWed Jan 18, 2023 5:16 pm

The easiest way is to line out the text in the left box to the right and the text in the right box to the right. Then all you have to do is move the combined result into position.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

CatalynJer

PostSun Jan 22, 2023 1:26 pm

Sander de Regt wrote:The easiest way is to line out the text in the left box to the right and the text in the right box to the right. Then all you have to do is move the combined result into position.

Thank you Sander for your tip! Could you please go in to detail how one would do this? As I understand it, I still have to allign the seperate text boxes in to position to be ''glued'' together and there is no way around that.

Thanks!

Sander de Regt

PostSun Jan 22, 2023 8:52 pm

Yes, you would have to do that one time to set it up. But in theory that shouldn't take that long.
But maybe I'm not understanding your workflow well enough.

Just add two text tools: 1 with the anchor to the right, 1 with the anchor to the left, merge them and you're almost done. Activate the 2nd element in the shading section and change it to box/fill/whatever it's called and you'll get text on a box. Then use the layout part of one of the text tools to make sure the boxes don't overlap and use a seperate transform after the merge to position the text on the image.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

xunile

PostMon Jan 23, 2023 7:34 pm

Here is a video I made on positioning Text+ nodes so they don't overlap.

Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

CatalynJer

PostSun Feb 12, 2023 2:30 pm

xunile wrote:Here is a video I made on positioning Text+ nodes so they don't overlap.

Huge thanks Eric for making a video and showing how to do it! And apologies for the late reply (Busy weeks with another NLE). Would not be able to resolve this issue on my own. Will try this soon and report back here.

CatalynJer

PostSun Jun 04, 2023 10:37 pm

xunile wrote:Here is a video I made on positioning Text+ nodes so they don't overlap.

Dear Eric,

Your method worked perfectly, and helped me very much in my effort to move from Adobe to Resolve. But I haven't been able yet to make the switch complete.

I'm afraid I am stuck again on another issue and was wondering would you know the solution. Here is the problem I'm having: https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=182553

Return to Fusion