Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Resolution and power window weirdness

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

ArcanePath

Resolution and power window weirdness

PostSat Jan 21, 2023 8:22 pm

Hi,
I asked a similar thing before but believe I didn't word it right, since I had no replies, and have since figured out parts of the problem. I'll be brief...

The intention:
Paste mediaIn in fusion over an image that is a different aspect ratio.

The problem:
In the Colour page, when adding power windows, everything is fine. However when you go back to the Edit page, and use Transform X to keyframe a panning shot, the power window scrolls offset from the footage, at half the speed.

The cause:
It seems Fusion retains the aspect ratio/res data from the original footage, and doesn't update it with the 8k image that the footage is pasted on. I hope there is a way to "fool" it somehow. I know this is the issue because when I open the 8k image in the first instance, then import my media over that, the issue doesn't happen. However this isn't an option since my footage is a large file and is already cut, and also has sound, which doesn't get included doing it this way.

Any help will be hugely welcomed. I've spent days on this and joined here just to hope I solve this, since it's an ongoing issue I have.
Thanks
Danny Akuma

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

Re: Resolution and power window weirdness

PostMon Jan 23, 2023 3:38 am

Pan in the color page?
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Sam Steti

PostMon Jan 23, 2023 9:01 am

Hey,

Whatever you want to troubleshoot with sizing, do it in Fusion since you know this latter was responsible of the issue...

I suggest 2 options :

- Either you add Letterbox node after the media which needs to adapt (or a Resize one, depending on the project default res) and turn this media exactly into what you need before any further operation ;

- Or, in specific examples which doesn't seem to apply here (like you have an alpha channel to keep and just need your media to keep its size but also fit the project size), you may merge it with a BG which you put its alpha to 0.
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

ArcanePath

PostMon Jan 23, 2023 9:44 am

Peter Chamberlain wrote:Pan in the color page?

Hi, initially, this corrects the problem, but it only pans what is already on screen in the edit page, so you are moving around something at that resolution. I have 4k footage, upscaled to 8k being shown in 1080p. I tried your method, but it only moves and zooms so far, and clips the edges and looks pixelated. Thanks anyway
Danny Akuma

ArcanePath

PostMon Jan 23, 2023 9:54 am

Sam Steti wrote:Hey,

Whatever you want to troubleshoot with sizing, do it in Fusion since you know this latter was responsible of the issue...

I suggest 2 options :

- Either you add Letterbox node after the media which needs to adapt (or a Resize one, depending on the project default res) and turn this media exactly into what you need before any further operation ;

- Or, in specific examples which doesn't seem to apply here (like you have an alpha channel to keep and just need your media to keep its size but also fit the project size), you may merge it with a BG which you put its alpha to 0.

Thanks for suggestions. I tried letterbox node with all kinds of settings (I didn't even know about this node), but it didn't do anything to help.
Also tried the background method, in fact that's kind of what is being done in the first place so this did not solve the issue.

Starting to think Black Magic need a software update to fix all it's sizing/aspect ratio issues internally.
Danny Akuma

Chad Capeland

PostMon Jan 23, 2023 5:00 pm

ArcanePath wrote:Starting to think Black Magic need a software update to fix all it's sizing/aspect ratio issues internally.

There's nothing to "fix", the software has different datatypes for images and transforms based on what portion of the software is being used. And there's likely valuable reasons for them being different, whether it's performance or capability. And even if one is inferior, changing it would break a LOT of stuff.

More transparency into how data is processed would help, including allowing Fusion and Color to nest recursively.
Chad Capeland
Indicated, LLC
www.floweffects.com

ArcanePath

PostMon Jan 23, 2023 10:36 pm

It wouldn't break a lot of stuff if they added an option to change how it's worked going forward, so legacy projects still work, but going forward people have the choice. Currently there is no workaround for my problem it seems, because of internal workings that seem to collide.
Danny Akuma

Return to Fusion