Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

How do I make a video/image appear behind another?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Dorkus

How do I make a video/image appear behind another?

PostWed Jan 25, 2023 12:58 pm

Hi. Im still learning Fusion and Im struggling to recreate a relatively basic effect. I want to make an image or video to slide out from behind an object. for example, if I had a video of a game character standing still, and i wanted to make a video come out from behind their back, how would I do this? I've already tried doing research into this before coming to the forum, but I just can't seem to find the right answer. All of the videos and past forum posts are all about doing this effect with text, but I am unable to recreate it with any media. And I also cant seem to find any controls for media as well, id like to scale down the media as well.
Hunter Bradford

Richard Cooper

Re: How do I make a video/image appear behind another?

PostThu Jan 26, 2023 1:31 am

Seems like you'd want to mask the foreground element out, then have that separate from the background you just separated it from, a copy if you'd like. Then place the video/image between the two. So your timeline would look like this. Background on the lowest level, then the video/image, then the foreground masked out element. You could also mask the video/image you want between as needed. This could also be done in fusion, but the above method would be simple on the timeline and magic mask is available on both.

xunile

Re: How do I make a video/image appear behind another?

PostThu Jan 26, 2023 4:42 pm

What is usually done for this effect is something called Rotoscoping, where you use a mask to remove the background of the character and then composite that on top using a Merge node with the video you want in between the character and the background, you then animate the video clip in with a Transform node. This has to be done frame by frame updating the mask. If you have the Studio version of Resolve 18 you can try the Object Mask but in the free version you will probably have to go frame by frame.
Attachments
2023-01-26.jpg
2023-01-26.jpg (264.85 KiB) Viewed 993 times
2023-01-26 (1).jpg
2023-01-26 (1).jpg (280.88 KiB) Viewed 993 times
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

Return to Fusion