Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Drop Shadow, Glow and Motion Blur in ACEs Workflow

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Jannik

Drop Shadow, Glow and Motion Blur in ACEs Workflow

PostThu Jan 26, 2023 9:53 am

Hi,

This is how my project is setup:

I’ve setup the projects Color Management as ACEScct (Aces 1.3) with no Input Transform and Rec.709 as Output Transform. For all my Footage I then apply the according Input Transform manually by right clicking in the Media Pool. I’ve already learned, that Fusion works in ACEscg and to get my Footage look like on the Edit page i just disable the Fusion View LUT and put a ACEs Transform Node with “Input: ACEscg” and “Output: Rec.709” behind my Media Out and use this as my "View LUT". I also figured out, that i can either transform the Background Nodes and Text+ Nodes into ACEscg by adding a ACEs Transform Node behind them, or just set them to ACEscg directly in the Image Settings. That way my whole Fusion comp is technically working completely in ACEscg. How ever to get complete white on the Edit Page I need to set the Background/Text Node to sRGB and then transform it to ACEscg with a ACEs Transform Node.

Colors and Brightness Values seem to work very well this way and look exactly the same to the Edit page.

However here's my problem:

Whenever using Drop shadow, Glow or Motion Blur on Backgrounds or Text they behave really weird. It doesn’t matter if I apply the effect in ACEscg or if I transform into Rec.709, then use the effect, and then transform it back to ACEscg. I noticed that those are all effects working with some kind of Alpha Falloff but I just can’t seem to get it to work. Does anyone know what to do?

Best regards!

Return to Fusion