Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Patch Replacer Tracking

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

GalinMcMahon

Patch Replacer Tracking

PostSun Feb 05, 2023 5:01 am

This is driving me crazy.

Trying to patch replace a small area in Fusion. Have a good track (classic tracker) and patch replacer is set. How do they work together??? I have tried connecting to Tracker1 Unsteady position via the right click menu on the patch positions but every time it crashes Resolve. I have tried modify with tracker position but every time it crashes Resolve. No error messages. So the second question is: is there a way to use Resolve without constantly crashing Resolve? Like did the devs sit down and intentionally write a program that crashes if you do anything more than a basic copy/paste command?

I digress.

I tried a planar tracker. Unfortunately an arm passes by in front of what is being tracked a few times. When this happens, Resolve gets completely stumped and just stops tracking. You can't pick back up because of course you can't resume planar tracking unless there are already tracks...even though Resolve stopped making tracks.

*** UPDATE - Video and logs attached ***

Video of the issue:

Logs at https://drive.google.com/file/d/1olVnkj ... sp=sharing
Water cooled Windows 11 laptop
i9 12th gen - 64GB RAM - 16GB 3080ti
2TB 4th gen nvme main - 4TB 4th gen nvme scratch
Micro panel (thank you BM :) ) - Stream Deck
Resolve Studio 18.5
BenQ ultrawide - DeckLink 4k mini via Sonnet - 48” LG C2 OLED

Manuel López

Re: Patch Replacer Tracking

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 12:30 am

Indeed, I also get a crash when I do the same thing.
But I have solved it by connecting, instead of the tracker, the target position with the tracker path (Tracker1Tracker1Path>position). Then I modified the source position with an offset position. In the offset I have connected again the position (X,Y) with the Tracker1Tracker1Path>position and I have modified the offset at will.

GalinMcMahon

Re: Patch Replacer Tracking

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 4:39 pm

Thank you, Manuel! I can't wait to try this...
Water cooled Windows 11 laptop
i9 12th gen - 64GB RAM - 16GB 3080ti
2TB 4th gen nvme main - 4TB 4th gen nvme scratch
Micro panel (thank you BM :) ) - Stream Deck
Resolve Studio 18.5
BenQ ultrawide - DeckLink 4k mini via Sonnet - 48” LG C2 OLED

RandyHeffner

Re: Patch Replacer Tracking (in Fusion)

PostThu May 11, 2023 3:16 pm

OP's video was not accessible for me, but I think I had the same issue: I needed to combine Tracker and Patch Replacer *in Fusion*. Searched all over, but kept getting sent to the Color page. Alas, I could not do it there because I had a tricky tracking situation and the tracking was not good enough there -- so it had to be in Fusion. But, many options for wiring the nodes in Fusion didn't work. Finally, I came up with a scheme. In short, the basic configuration is this:
1. Direct MediaIn to a Tracker node -- track the feature to be PatchReplaced. For now, leave Operation=None.
2. Send Tracker output to a PatchReplacer node -- configure the source/target as needed.
3. Copy-Paste an exact duplicate of the Tracker node (e.g., call it "TrackerDuplicate")
4. Wire MediaIn to the Input of TrackerDuplicate (i.e., MediaIn goes in parallel to both Tracker and TrackerDuplicate)
5. Wire PatchReplacer to the Foreground of TrackerDuplicate
6. Wire TrackerDuplicate to MediaOut
7. Change Tracker's Operation to BG only
8. Change TrackerDuplicate's Operation to FG over BG

That should do it. Hope it helps someone. Here are some other hints:

* It is important to initially configure PatchReplacer on the untracked MediaIn (i.e., Tracker's Operation=None).
* After that, if refinements to tracking are needed, it works to keyframe PatchReplacer (which must be done with Tracker's Operation=BG only
* if Tracker's tracking is updated, copy it again and re-wire/reconfigure it in place of the old TrackerDuplicate
* in PatchReplacer, change "Border Type" to not be "Black" (I use Reflect) -- otherwise TrackerDuplicate may produce some edge artifacts
* screenshots attached

--Randy
========
* Resolve 18.1.4
* Windows 10
Attachments
tracker+patchReplacer (3).jpg
tracker+patchReplacer (3).jpg (415.73 KiB) Viewed 888 times
tracker+patchReplacer (2).jpg
tracker+patchReplacer (2).jpg (393.43 KiB) Viewed 888 times
tracker+patchReplacer (1).jpg
tracker+patchReplacer (1).jpg (399.83 KiB) Viewed 888 times