Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Mirror along a Path

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

MaxFilms

Mirror along a Path

PostSat Mar 11, 2023 8:18 am

Hi everyone, is there a way to add a reflection along a path?

I replaced a screen on an old monitor, which has edges coming out. I would like the screen to be reflected on the edges.

Also, what would be the best way to distort the screen along the curved screen of the monitor? I used GridWarp, but I am not sure, if that was the right tool for that.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-03-11 at 09.14.16.png
Screenshot 2023-03-11 at 09.14.16.png (318.04 KiB) Viewed 752 times

Sam Steti

Re: Mirror along a Path

PostSat Mar 11, 2023 10:38 am

Hey

Then you have 2 separate questions...

1/ for the reflection, I'd use a light wrap technique, which is what should happen here anyway.
To write it the shorter I can, use ChannelBooleans nodes : pipe the matte of your computer in one input, and an strongly blurred version of the same matte as a second (FG) input > then choose Xor (or Exclusive Or) as the operation mode of the channelBooleans node... Moving the amount of blur of the blur node now shows you what the Xor does...
Now, you should normally restrict* the reflection to the inner parts of the monitor to exclude the screen but you don't really care as your replacement will be add on top.
(*to do it anyway, you then add a 3d channelbooleans node with multiply as its mode > pipe the original matte as BG again and the last channelbooleans output (of what you've done before) as the FG matte. Now you see where the reflection will be applied, tweak the blur for finesse...)

Now take the replacement screen of the monitor > add an extreme blur node to it > pipe it in a MatteControl node BG > pipe the last Channelbooleans node in the FG > mattecontrol mode : combine alpha. Don't forget to tick "post multiply alpha at the bottom of the MatteControl node. Done ;)
To complete the stuff, you want to merge it back on your comp, with something like "Lighten" as the merge node mode, and adjust the blend.

2/ To keep it simple, I'd only use a polygon mask to follow the curved screen, with a tiny bit of blur, and yes, why not gridwarp or bend(er?) or displace ...
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

MaxFilms

PostWed Mar 22, 2023 9:41 am

Hi Sam, thank you for your help. This got me a blurry shine around the screen, which is a good start. But I think it would look even more realistic with an actual reflection.

I tried to do it with a mirror node creating a vertical and a horizontal reflection left to and on top of the screen. It gets me closer to where I wanted it to be but I think it still is not perfect yet. As you can see in the edge, there is no reflection. So I wondered, if there was something like a node that creates a reflection along a path.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 10.37.47.png
Screenshot 2023-03-22 at 10.37.47.png (900.01 KiB) Viewed 468 times

Sander de Regt

PostWed Mar 22, 2023 11:44 am

Of course if you want to make it better, give it all you've got, but what you have here is already really convincing. Noone will be able to tell that it's not real if it's just a shot in a sequence. They will be looking at the content of the screen anyway.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

Return to Fusion