Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Nodes cannot be inserted in the pipeline

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Giacomo Boselli

Nodes cannot be inserted in the pipeline

PostMon Mar 13, 2023 11:43 am

Hello, I am following the blackmagic fusion training and noticed that a merge3d node won't stick in pipeline between render3d and mediaout after being dragged from tool panel. I tried to drag it afterward using the shift key but it just doesn't work. What am I doing wrong? :cry:
Resolve Studio 18.0.4
msi GF63 Thin 10SCXR / Win 10
Intel i7-10750H 6 Core CPU, 16GB RAM DDR4 2666MHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 with Max-Q Design, 4GB VRAM GDDR6

Pieter Van Houte

Re: Nodes cannot be inserted in the pipeline

PostMon Mar 13, 2023 11:59 am

Giacomo Boselli wrote:Hello, I am following the blackmagic fusion training and noticed that a merge3d node won't stick in pipeline between render3d and mediaout after being dragged from tool panel. I tried to drag it afterward using the shift key but it just doesn't work. What am I doing wrong? :cry:

Merge3D is part of Fusion's 3D toolset and expects a 3D input. After your render3d, the pipe will be 2D data.

If you want to merge something on top of your render, use a regular Merge.
Support We Suck Less on Patreon -> https://www.patreon.com/wesuckless

https://www.steakunderwater.com/wesuckless

Glenn Sakatch

Re: Nodes cannot be inserted in the pipeline

PostSat Mar 18, 2023 4:26 pm

I've said this for years about learning fusion. When I started with it, back in the Eyeon days, one of the harder things i had to figure out was the relation between the 3d and 2d nodes.

When you put an object on a 3d plane, or into a cube or any other 3d object, you can only work with 3d objects...until you run that into a render 3d. Render 3d "renders" your 3d object and puts you back into 2d space, and any future nodes must be of the 2d variety...unless you go back to 3d with another plane.

After Render 3d you can only use 2d tools.
Inbetween a 3d object and Before Render 3d, you can only use 3d tools.

For example, if you patch a shot into a 3d plane, and light it and move it around, and do all sorts of cool stuff to it, and then decide you want to blur it, your 2d blur would have to be placed before your 3d plane, or after your render 3d.

Return to Fusion