Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Is it possible to get Fusion to calculate in 8 bit?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Dennis Summers

Is it possible to get Fusion to calculate in 8 bit?

PostWed Mar 15, 2023 5:08 pm

Float16 difference blend.jpg
Float16 difference blend.jpg (343.65 KiB) Viewed 495 times
8 bit difference blend.jpg
8 bit difference blend.jpg (306.63 KiB) Viewed 495 times
Ok I believe that I've figured out the cause, but I can't figure out a solution. I'm hoping that one of you really smart folks out there can help.
I'm basically blending together different color patterns created with fast noise using difference mode. I get the look that I want in the image viewer. But when I go to render it looks very different. I can get that different look in the view window by changing the image depth of fast noise from int 8 to float 16. So my assumption is that when Fusion is rendering it's doing so in floating values, which of course would normally be what one would want. Just not now.
So the question is this: is there a way to force Fusion to render using 8 bit calculations instead, or is there some work around that someone here can share.
I've attached the two images. As you can see the difference between them is not subtle.
thanx in advance.

Dennis Summers

Re: Is it possible to get Fusion to calculate in 8 bit?

PostWed Mar 15, 2023 6:39 pm

Ok, as I just learned from another forum, I somehow missed something that I should have seen: Under preferences is Frame Format, where one can change the depth to 8 bit. That solves the problem.

Return to Fusion