Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Half of animation missing when exporting macro

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

tsymyn

Half of animation missing when exporting macro

PostThu Mar 16, 2023 8:09 pm

I've created an animated lower third I want to reuse in the Fusion tab in Resolve 18.1.4 Build 9. I've done this before without issue, but for some reason this time when I create and save a macro (.settings file) in (Windows 11 here) %appdata%\roaming\Blackmagic Design\DaVinci Resolve\Support\Fusion\Templates\Edit\Titles the lower third shows up in the Edit tab, but when I drop it on my timeline, only the first half of the 509 frames are there. If I drag out the end, I can get the whole thing, but it defaults to half the duration. I'm pretty sure I know why:

Rather than being a smarty and starting the new Fusion comp with a background with the alpha turned down, I decieded to be a dummy and start with a Media In of a portion of the lower third I had animated in After Effects a couple of years ago when I still used Premiere. That animation is one way, so I duplicated it and time-reversed the copy with a Timespeed node. It seems that the exported macro is set to the duration of the first node I dropped in. When I created the empty Fusion comp back on the Edit tab I specified 17 seconds, but it doesn't seem to care.

So, I'm not sure how much of this is a bug and how much is me being ignorant, but I can't seem to find a way to set that duration after the fact, and it seems odd that the duration specified when creating the new Fusion comp is overridden by the first node dropped in, but that's where I am. The full duration shows up in Keyframes and Splines. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong, and if there's any way to fix it without starting over?

Noah Erickson
Generally Creative

tsymyn

Re: Half of animation missing when exporting macro

PostFri Mar 17, 2023 8:14 pm

Another few things I noticed: my comp, and the Fusion comp, are at 29.97 fps, but the MOV on my Media In is at 59.94 fps, and is also 17 seconds, although I'm only using the first half of it, that ends up being the same number of frames as the whole comp (509) but in half the time, so I suppose in the background Fusion is converting the frame rate by dropping every other frame from the Media In. I don't know if that's somehow confusing things.

Looking at the .settings file, which is nice readable markup (thanks, Blackmagic Design!), I don't see the comp duration anywhere in there. In fact, the only durations I see specified are the two Media Ins (which are that same MOV file at double the framerate of my comp), so it really looks to me like Resolve is calculating the duration of the title, and something is making it calculate it to be half the duration of the Fusion comp I exported (8.5 sec instead of 17 sec, aka ~255 frames instead of ~509).

I can drag the tail right once it's on the timeline and get the full duration (or, indeed, any duration I want, it doesn't stop me when it reaches the end of the original Fusion comp), but when the title drops on the timeline initially it has half the duration it should.
Noah Erickson
Generally Creative

Return to Fusion