Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

3d Billboard mapping

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

R.Stewart

3d Billboard mapping

PostFri Mar 17, 2023 1:21 am

Hi everyone,

I have a project for a 3d Billboard and I'm wondering what is the best non-destructive, self-updating workflow for mapping the rendered content onto the screen. Currently I'm rendering the 3d scene with straight verts and then using gridwarp in fusion to stretch the image into place. This seems extremely dodgy. I would love to know a more professional workflow, I assume this is using an alembic camera and 3d plane inside of fusion?

Please see my testing below (Not actual content from the project)
This is a photo of the screen from the desired viewing angle.
maxresdefault.jpg
Photo of screen from desired angle
maxresdefault.jpg (96.82 KiB) Viewed 821 times

This the 3d scene
3dViewport.JPG
3d Scene
3dViewport.JPG (60.38 KiB) Viewed 821 times

This is my dodgy grid warp comp
FusionComp.JPG
Fusion Comp
FusionComp.JPG (85.6 KiB) Viewed 821 times

I understand that this looks ok for a rectangle but I plan on taking on more jobs with curved screens etc so I'd love for some help setting this up in a more professional way.

I've uploaded the working files here if anyone would be so kind as to take a look.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Please reach out if you have a nice workflow for this!!

Thanks in advance.

RS

Sam Steti

Re: 3d Billboard mapping

PostFri Mar 17, 2023 4:09 pm

Actually you want to do camera tracking of you scene first. I didn't perfectly understood what you did with a grid warp but it's not the correct WF if the cam moves or changes its angles...
With good solve numbers exported, you include your 3D object in the scene since now you have a regular ground, points cloud and see the camera in the merge3D viewport for finesse.
If it was only a flat 2D graphic in the first place, a basic match move might do the trick but since you have a real 3D object (yes alembic or OBJ or fbx), the camera solve numbers will save your life.
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

R.Stewart

PostFri Mar 17, 2023 11:35 pm

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the confusion. I'm not trying to replace the screen in the photo, that is simply for previewing. I am creating 3d content that is actually going onto the screen and needs to have correct perspective from the desired viewing angle.

See this example where if you are standing at a certain angle the content looks like it jumps out, but if you were on the other side of the street it looks all warped.

I want to know how to properly map the rendered 3d content onto the 2d screen to match the viewing angle.

Does that make sense? I know how to do 3d camera tracking but that is not what is needed for this job.

Thanks!

R.Stewart

PostFri Mar 17, 2023 11:59 pm

Sorry I think I've over complicated the explanation.

I want to map this content marked in blue.
ContentToMap.JPG
ContentToMap
ContentToMap.JPG (31.47 KiB) Viewed 778 times

Onto this flat rectangle
MappedOnToFlatRectangle.JPG
DesiredMapping
MappedOnToFlatRectangle.JPG (85.6 KiB) Viewed 778 times

I'd love to know the best way of doing this with out destroying the image. Grid warp tends to bow the straight lines.

Thanks!

birdseye

PostSat Mar 18, 2023 9:53 am

There seem to be quite a few videos of that billboard and they are all shot from more or less the same place, which suggests that it is not 3D, it's just that the viewing angle is restricted. The content was most likely shot from the angle that it can be viewed from. You'll notice that none of the content ever goes outside the screen, if it did the effect is spoiled. The extra screen space at the top and sides is what sells the effect, it is made to kind of blend into what is actually in.the background. They appear to be video versions of those graphics around football pitches that only look right from one camera angle.
There is one effect here that is impressive, at around 7 seconds, either that screen is a lot wider than it is made to appear or that object really does come out of the screen.

If you were trying to create that effect you would need to shoot your video from the same angle that it is to be viewed from, create a surrounding fake frame that also looks like it is shot from the particular angle and it looks like it is outside the screen area/ part of the background. Then roto elements in the video, so that they appear to overlap the fake edge of the screen. I can see why it might work for billboards, providing they are viewed from a particular location.

Sam Steti

PostSat Mar 18, 2023 10:33 am

Hey Richard

:D Yes, we may have had some trouble in explanations/understandings, however as a good piece of news, I think I understood what your goal is.

Provided you cam is moving (because if it's not, it could be easier)
Look, if "this content marked in blue" was in 2D only, which it is if you pipe anything coming from after the Rendere3D node, then you should put a tracker node > track relevant and idealistic points representing the 4 points of the desired target > turn the tracker node mode into "corner positioning" (and pipe your guitar player in it for the tracker node then acts lime a Merge one) ...
Of course, if there are too large PTZR or even just huge circular moves, it will be distorted, and in any way, the content should obviously be filmed/made at the same position angle in the first place.

Now, what I wrote is about 3D, which is the right way to do it. Then, the 3D content must be part of the comp - before the Rendere3d - and be placed where the results of a CameraTracker solve tells you to. This is now obvious that you content is a real 3D one (if not, you can add a Shape3D after it to be able to include it but in case of large cam moves, it doesn't sell anymore)

So in order to be specific - and not write down the whole process which would be a novel here :) - here are a couple of videos showing you what to do with it. Some nodes must always be there (merge3d, camera3d, etc) but the CameraTracker solve quality is your main goal...
It depends wether you have time to watch a long one, or shorter ones ;)

*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Richard Stewart

PostSat Mar 18, 2023 11:49 pm

Thank you so much for your input guys, I really do appreciate it.

I phoned a friend last night who was able to help. The answer was using a catcher while projecting the image onto a plane that was the same ratio as the screen.

I don't fully understand it but it works!

FYI it's all CGI content rendered from a stationary camera from the desired viewing angle. All the action happens on the screen and uses the perspective of the 3d camera to give an illusion of space behind the screen, or objects popping out.

What I needed to do was to warp the rendered image to fit the format of which I need to deliver to play on a screen.

Complicated but satisfying when done right!

Return to Fusion