Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Does Fusion in Resolve 18 use memory differently?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

JimCricket

Does Fusion in Resolve 18 use memory differently?

PostFri Mar 17, 2023 3:51 pm

I've asked this before but didn't get much of an answer.

I recently upgraded from version 17 to 18 and I have since noticed an obvious slowdown in how Fusion operates. This is an example of one comp, but it has happened in others.
slow fusion.jpg
slow fusion.jpg (565.88 KiB) Viewed 628 times

This one was originally set up in 17, and is very simple, and I never noticed any problems in playback.
Each little number ribbon is its own comp (the blue "light" flashes on and off) and I used Fusion to lay them out and move them around in random directions. I haven't done anything with it since I upgraded a couple weeks ago. But I just went into Fusion with it and noticed the Renderer has a green progress line that was working as soon as I got into Fusion.

That finished rather quickly, but then when I went to play the comp, every single frame required work from the Renderer. Each step was only a second or less, but the result of course was a slow, choppy playback. Even just moving the time head to a different frame, without playing back, resulted in the renderer doing some work. And worse, there is never any finish to the rendering work, even after a full playback. It is playing back about 1 fps, or at best 1 frame per half second. But if I go back to the Edit page, it plays back perfectly fine. I go back to Fusion after that, and it's playing slow and choppy again.

I know this has not occurred in the earlier version.

This comp is simple, but last year I made an extremely complex fusion 3d comp that was getting so complex I had to buy a new computer. That solved the problem of slow render times. But it feels like with version 18, I've gone back to square one. (Yes I can do some work in 3d, but I think I have more than enough computer resources to work in 3d as before.)

Is there some sort of memory allocation setting that I"m missing? I have 64gb of ram and the usage in the bottom right corner is only around 18%. I also notice on the status bar: Playback 1.0 frames/sec.

Sander de Regt

Re: Does Fusion in Resolve 18 use memory differently?

PostFri Mar 17, 2023 4:21 pm

What kind of 'footage' are the ribbons? i.e. what format are they in?
Depending on your setup this shouldn't take this long generally.
You're saying you have 64 GB but what is the rest of your system like?
Are you using software renderer or OpenGL? What's your graphic card?
And do you have motion blur activated in the 3D renderer?
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

JimCricket

PostFri Mar 17, 2023 4:30 pm

All of these started out a TIF sequences of just two frames each (bright blue, dark blue for on and off) then I stretch the time to a variety of speeds for different blink rates, copy a bunch together, select them all, and make a compound clip out of that. I'm not sure what format that is, but whatever the default is.

It's a Macbook Pro MX1 with built in graphics. I *think* I'm using OpenGL but mea culpa I don't really bother paying attention to all that.

No motion blur. And in this particular Fusion comp I have no movement at all! It was just an early test of a layout. In another comp altogether I have them flying around, but not in this one.

I don't know how to do a moving screen shot, but if I could it would show you clearly that playing it in Edit works fine. Playing in Fusion is very slow, no matter how long its rendered.

Sander de Regt

PostFri Mar 17, 2023 4:43 pm

I only see one timestretcher in your screenshot, so I was wondering about that.
Fusion can be slower with some image formats i.e. PNGs are notoriously slow to deal with.
But I've had similar setups with 6 to 10 layers of 2k and 4k playing back in real time after the initial render, so I'm curious why your situation is different.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

JimCricket

PostFri Mar 17, 2023 5:09 pm

I've been able to increase the frame rate by really digging into the weeds of the renderer, from 1fps to 10-12 fps. Yes you were right to point to the OpenGL. It was defaulted at Software and that was the biggest slow up. But I've also turned off or lowered settings of some other things too.

Return to Fusion