Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Any way to select a specific color in Fusion?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

momentanius

Any way to select a specific color in Fusion?

PostSun Apr 02, 2023 12:06 pm

Hello to all!

So, quick question: I really like adding specific effects to specific colors in my videos. I've been using the color picker in the Color page to isolate certain colors of the video, to use certain effects without the need to mask.

I'd like to know if there's any kind of color picker, color selector, or any kind of similar tool as the color picker in the Color page, but in Fusion.

I'm currently using the free version.

Thank you so much!

Sander de Regt

Re: Any way to select a specific color in Fusion?

PostSun Apr 02, 2023 1:03 pm

Use the chromakeyer. It is not just for blue of greenscreen. You can just pick a color and you can use the (alpha from that) selection to drive other effects. That should work in the free version as well.
Which version are you using specifically? V9?
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

momentanius

PostSun Apr 02, 2023 1:08 pm

Sander de Regt wrote:Use the chromakeyer. It is not just for blue of greenscreen. You can just pick a color and you can use the (alpha from that) selection to drive other effects. That should work in the free version as well.
Which version are you using specifically? V9?

Thank you for the quick response!

Currently using Fusion inside the most recent version of Davinci Resolve, so 18.1.4!

Glad to know that there are easy ways to do it. I'll give it a try! Thank you! :D

Sander de Regt

PostSun Apr 02, 2023 1:14 pm

Probably the most efficient way to use this is by feeding the output of your chromakeyer into a bitmap mask and set that to use the alpha and then use the bitmap mask to control the effect.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

momentanius

PostMon Apr 03, 2023 7:56 pm

Sander de Regt wrote:Probably the most efficient way to use this is by feeding the output of your chromakeyer into a bitmap mask and set that to use the alpha and then use the bitmap mask to control the effect.

Thanks again for the quick response! Sorry for taking a while to answer.

As someone who never used any kind of Bitmap masking, how should I approach this?

I've made an example of how I understood the explanation, but It's not working as intended.

I'm using the Chroma Keyer to select the color Red, putting the output of this into a Bitmap, then feeding it into a Merge node back to the original image.

Where should I apply the effects, and how should the Bitmap Node be conected?
Thanks again, and sorry for the delay.

Return to Fusion