Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Resolve vs Fusion MultiLayer EXR

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

MWoodin

Resolve vs Fusion MultiLayer EXR

PostTue May 02, 2023 12:26 am

Hey,

I've recently noticed that Fusion inside of resolve has the option to select Multilayer EXR layers inside the MediaIn node. Does Fusion Studio have this functionality? I can't see it in the Loader node, but having that inside Fusion standalone would be incredibly helpful!

Thanks,
Mitchell
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 120GB RAM, 2TB SSD, RTX 3080
BenQ PD3200U
Presonus Studio 24c
Resolve Studio 18.1.1

UserNoah

Re: Resolve vs Fusion MultiLayer EXR

PostTue May 02, 2023 1:21 pm

If you have multipart exrs (I believe this is supported for exrs using version 2 and up) you can select the different parts using a drop down with each part then getting shuffled into the R, G, B channels.

Most render engines don’t allow choosing between multi layer and multi part so you’re mostly stuck with whatever you get.
Fusion itself can’t write multipart as far as I know.

Bryan Ray

Re: Resolve vs Fusion MultiLayer EXR

PostTue May 02, 2023 1:31 pm

The Format tab has the drop-down UserNoah refers to. The layer is selected with Part, and then channels can be assigned just like a 1.0 EXR. Do note that Fusion's Loader can only load one Part at a time, so you'll need multiple Loaders to get all the layers. EXR 2.0 reading is efficient, though--it only loads the Part you ask for, not the entire file.

Fusion's default Loader can't save Multi-Part EXR, but the LifeSaver fuse by Andrew Hazelden, available in Reactor, can. It works in both Fusion standalone and in Resolve's Fusion page.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Return to Fusion