Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Is fusion right for me?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

GregVonNeulich

Is fusion right for me?

PostSat May 20, 2023 8:22 pm

Hi,

I would like some people’s opinion really know what they’re doing. Currently are use after affects to produce motion graphics used in social advertising. Things like this:

https://kdrive.cloudnine.de/app/share/2 ... c77d27657f

One thing to consider when answering is the fact that there are about 200 of these videos in a campaign with different sizes (9x16, 4x5, 1x1, 16x9) and lengths, and with different safe zones, depending on the platform that they’re being published.

I rarely do any editing or effects on video, which seems to really be the strongest feature of fusion. I have a pretty good workflow now with after effects where I keep all of the text content and settings like colors images animation style for each composition in a json file. And then feed each composition its data by naming the composition, the same as the json key.

So what’s your opinion? Is it worth my while to learn fusion or is it not really the right tool for the job?

Thanks

Frank Engel

Re: Is fusion right for me?

PostMon May 22, 2023 8:46 am

While Fusion is technically capable of motion graphics, it is not really engineered to do so optimally, being instead optimized as a compositing application for taking multiple media elements and merging them together in various ways.

I can't see what is at the link you posted (appears to be broken) but if it is typical motion graphics work then you are better off with tools like Apple Motion (if you are on a Mac) or possibly animation software such as Synfig Studio or even Blender depending on the exact nature of the work (though Blender in particular as it is optimized as a 3D application can have a fairly steep learning curve if that is all you are trying to do with it).

As you indicated advertising, if you are creating these for the web and are on a Mac, you might also take a look at Tumult Hype which is optimized for that purpose and allows some degree of interactive web animation as well (with its Pro version).

LeonGeen

Re: Is fusion right for me?

PostMon May 22, 2023 3:06 pm

In fact, Fusion has a long history, but it doesn't seem to have undergone any significant changes. Whether it's in terms of operating experience or functional innovation, it can currently serve as a supplement to the convenience of effect production in resolve. If you want to engage in professional synthesis production, it doesn't seem like a good choice. Not only in material processing, but also in timeline management, it's relatively outdated. If you're working on motion graphics, It is best to use after effects, which has a complete feature set, convenient timeline, and better scalability.

We have all attempted to use Davinci resolve ALL IN ONE, but this is not feasible as you will have to spend several times the time in Fusion. Please use more efficient tools. It can even be a free Cavalry.

Return to Fusion