Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

I can only planar track images, not videos

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

CamCitizen

I can only planar track images, not videos

PostTue May 23, 2023 5:22 am

Hello, first post here. I've searched everywhere and maybe I'm just not wording my search correctly. I need help because I'm trying to planar track a screen on top of a virtual screen (placing a video over an element in a game). However it's not recognizing any video I put into the node tree. I have confirmed that the videos will play by themselves or in the Edit page, but not in the Fusion page. Fusion seems to only recognize a still image like a png or jpg. I watched a tutorial where this person was able to overlay a video of himself on a laptop, so I know it's possible.
I've supplied some screenshots which I hope will help get my point across. As you can see in the first image, the input media shows just fine if I use a png. However when I replace it with a video (small size, same aspect ration as original, etc) it doesn't appear at all. Not even the thumbnail displays.
If it helps, I'm running the latest Studio Beta 3.
Hope someone can help me. Thank you!

Photo shows just fine
tracking_issue_photo.png
tracking_issue_photo.png (833.15 KiB) Viewed 677 times

Video does not
tracking_issue_video.png
tracking_issue_video.png (762.35 KiB) Viewed 677 times

bentheanimator

Re: I can only planar track images, not videos

PostTue May 23, 2023 6:01 pm

Most likely it's because your comp starts at frame 9056. If you add a video into Fusion without it going through selecting both clips in the timeline and right-clicking to create a new fusion comp, the new Loader will start a frame 0 or 1. You need to set the Hold First Frame to be the beginning timecode of your comp. It should be a default setting on Resolve but it's easy to keep track of once you know about it.
Resolve & Fusion Studio 18.6.5
Windows 10
Intel Xeon CPU 2699A @ 2.40GHz | 128GB RAM | 2xRTX3090 | 512NVME System | 8TB NMVE Scratch | 80TB 8Gbps Fiber

MacOS 12.7.2
MacBook Pro 13,3 | 16GB | Radeon 460 4GB | 256GB System | 256GB Scratch

CamCitizen

PostTue May 23, 2023 6:12 pm

What's weird is, that the video I bring into Fusion doesn't show a preview at all. I should be able to watch that video in the preview pane but it's just blank or sometimes black. I did what you suggested but it's still not working.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
I play Star Citizen and edit videos about the game!

Bryan Ray

PostWed May 24, 2023 5:42 pm

Is that a Loader node or a MediaIn? For some reason, Loaders in Resolve cannot loading video, only images and image sequences. Loaders in standalone Fusion can load video just fine, though. No idea why the discrepancy.
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

RCModelReviews

PostSat May 27, 2023 10:44 pm

Ah, this caught me out the other day when working in the Fusion page on Resolve 18 so I did a VFX-connect to Fu9 and then found that the returned video was totally out of whack with color levels all skewed heavily towards the green. I used a saver node in Fu9 and just imported the resulting file into my media pool manually and it was fine.
Resolve 18.1 Studio, Fusion 9 Studio
CPU: i7 8700, OS: Windows 10 32GB RAM, GPU: RTX3060
I'm refugee from Sony Vegas slicing video for my YouTube channels.

Return to Fusion