Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Fusion + Color Tabs

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Eddiep

Fusion + Color Tabs

PostFri Jun 09, 2023 3:27 am

Hi folks,

I have done a comp in fusion with a delta-key, and a background - it has come out well, but I need to do a color grade now. I can see how to do this with tutorials on color spaces (in fusion), but I was wondering if there was a way to keep the comp in fusion as is, and then do the grade in the color tab - as this is easier. Whenever I try to do a color grade in the color tab, it also affects the color grade of the backdrop.

Please advise if the color grade can be done this way or if it all has to be done in fusion, many thanks.
Resolve 18.6 Studio
32GB RAM,
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GX 1660 Ti

Sven H

Re: Fusion + Color Tabs

PostFri Jun 09, 2023 1:03 pm

Eddiep wrote:Hi folks,

I have done a comp in fusion with a delta-key, and a background - it has come out well, but I need to do a color grade now. I can see how to do this with tutorials on color spaces (in fusion), but I was wondering if there was a way to keep the comp in fusion as is, and then do the grade in the color tab - as this is easier. Whenever I try to do a color grade in the color tab, it also affects the color grade of the backdrop.

Please advise if the color grade can be done this way or if it all has to be done in fusion, many thanks.
Depends on how you created the comp.

If you selected two clips and clicked on "create fusion comp" you essentially compounded the two clips into one. That means you can go inside the compound (open in timeline) and do color stuff there. The same way you would with regular compound clips.

But if you added media to the fusion comp via drag and drop from the media pool to the node view, you are bound to using fusions color correction tools.

I mean technically there are still ways to do this, but it get's complicated quite fast

Sam Steti

PostFri Jun 09, 2023 3:04 pm

Hey there,

Providing you're in Resolve Fusion - reading the way you ask your question reveals it must be correct - , here's how you should do :
In the Fu tab :
- cmd + space or shift + space > type MediaOut, and add a MediaOut node
- for more comfort, rename it
- pipe in it whatever end node of a stream which contains the mask you wish to get in the color tab
- notice that in the property tab, it has been assigned an index number, each MediaOut will have its own one of course

Do this for any mask you wish to find back in the color tab. You may end with a few MediaOut now, with their own index number and names, and go now to the color tab

In the Color tab :
- if you right click in the node flow > "add source", a green input is added.
The first regular one which already has its serial node is the index 0 one, the one you just added is the index 1, connected with the first MediaOut you added in the Fusion page, etc etc for next ones (2, 3, ...)
- when you connect this brand new input to the blue input of the standard serial node above, you can see that only the mask is selected
- you may then want to add serial nodes for each input, grade them separately and blend them together in the end with a mixer node

Et voilà... ;)
*MacMini M1 16 Go - Ext nvme SSDs on TB3 - 14 To HD in 2 x 4 disks USB3 towers
*Legacy MacPro 8core Xeons, 32 Go ram, 2 x gtx 980 ti, 3SSDs including RAID
*Resolve Studio everywhere, Fusion Studio too
*https://www.buymeacoffee.com/videorhin

Sven H

PostFri Jun 09, 2023 3:38 pm

Using the MediaOut approach can work, but often times there are some alpha problems, since you are essentially comping it in the color tab.

A similar approach would be to pipe an alpha to the MediaOut node and to only use this alpha to grade the background.

Return to Fusion