Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Multiple polygons in 1 polygon tool node?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

BMart17

Multiple polygons in 1 polygon tool node?

PostTue Feb 20, 2024 8:04 pm

I have been running into what seems to be a very simple issue for over a year, without being able to find an example online, so I figured it's time to check here.

I often like animating arrows in my edits, and ideally I'd use fusion to do that, but when I try to draw an arrow, I can't.

For example:
- add polygon tool
- draw 75% of the arrow (image 1)
image 1.png
image 1.png (472.67 KiB) Viewed 636 times

- run into issue where if I try to draw the other side of the arrow, it just continues from the last point created (image 2)
image 2.png
image 2.png (475.23 KiB) Viewed 636 times

- I then have to create a 2nd polygon node just to get that line, which is hard to replicate, now I don't have the arrow as "1 group" etc. (image 3)
image 3.png
image 3.png (498.37 KiB) Viewed 636 times

Is there no way to draw multiple "things" within 1 polygon tool node, and possibly even 'group' them?

Sander de Regt

Re: Multiple polygons in 1 polygon tool node?

PostTue Feb 20, 2024 8:14 pm

No. Every polygon is its own polygon. There are ways to group polygons in a way, but probably not in the way you're looking for. Do these arrows have to be animated in a way?
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

BMart17

PostTue Feb 20, 2024 8:39 pm

Darn.

I suppose they don't have to be animated in a specific way, but would still be handy to create polygons that are in fact connected, but be able to say "done drawing for now, begin drawing from this other point instead."

When I draw that arrow for example, I started at the top, go to the bottom, then up to the right (for the right side of the arrow) and it would be nice if I could just "disconnect" from that top right point, then start drawing from the bottom point to finish the left half.

It'd still be 1 polygon where all points are interconnected, but not follow a "draw from last created point"

Sander de Regt

PostTue Feb 20, 2024 8:51 pm

Like I said, there are a couple of ways of approaching this, but they're all a bit of a workaround.
You could publish the last point of your main line and then draw the pointy bits with another polygon and publish the center of the pointy bits as well and connect that to the published last point, this will connect these two together for example.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

BMart17

PostTue Feb 20, 2024 8:59 pm

Ok I'm not sure what that means to publish a point to main line but will do some reading in the Davinci guide to see if I can follow along your suggestion.

I was thinking a paint brush might be able to solve my issue too, but it's very buggy. It often doesn't draw in real-time for me which makes it hard to draw objects.

Sander de Regt

PostTue Feb 20, 2024 9:31 pm

You're definitely on the right track. I don't have time to help you further right now, but I'll gladly get back to you a little later to help you on your way.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

BMart17

PostThu Feb 22, 2024 3:26 am

All good I ended up using the poly-line within the paint brush with its capability to make multiple strokes within 1 node and it's a decent workaround. Thanks!

Return to Fusion