Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Audio: Something weird is happening in fusion

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

GamerKitty Euphoric

Audio: Something weird is happening in fusion

PostThu Feb 22, 2024 10:20 pm

This is both in resolve, and fusion, but mostly fusion, it's like my render cache isn't properly deleting or adding ?

Logs are attached (I figured out problem #1, I had fusion render off) I just need help with the rendering not working inside of fusion, and the audio being stuck in fusion despite removing Media1

fusion is all glitched on the render bar no matter how many times I play it

image_2024-02-22_172148075.png
image_2024-02-22_172148075.png (141.51 KiB) Viewed 623 times
Attachments
DaVinci-Resolve-logs-20240222-161144.zip
(837.18 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
Link to NFO File https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1vZTDFIJdy2RPNNZ7qNijLBJ4aB9hzBqJ?usp=sharing

I am in Love with Davinci, but my god does it hate me sometimes.

Ashley Thomas

Re: Audio: Something weird is happening in fusion

PostFri Feb 23, 2024 5:01 am

GamerKitty Euphoric wrote:This is both in resolve, and fusion, but mostly fusion, it's like my render cache isn't properly deleting or adding ?
[/attachment]
Have you tried clicking Purge Audio Cache on your Fusion Comp MediaIn node? If audio stops or has issues, I do that first and it generally resolves most of my issues. Generally, I find I need to do that after resizing a clip on the timeline or after clicking around to other clips or in/out of Fusion, things like that.

After that, if audio is present but you genuinely have offset issues, perhaps try adjusting "Sound Offset" right above the "Purge Audio Cache" button. You can adjust negative or positive... positive will start audio later, negative sooner.

Ashley Thomas

PostFri Feb 23, 2024 5:20 am

In looking at your video closer, I notice you are using Fusion 3D with quite a few image planes... and I notice rendering is slow generally. I believe audio cutouts are normal in such cases.

I vaguely recall, not sure... that there's some option to prioritize whether audio can be skipped or not in situations like that (i.e., I think by default it will skip if audio won't sound good... but that may be adjustable, check docs or someone else can clarify).

I do a few things when having issues, depending on the issue. But generally, I will try to adjust optimization settings for the context, meaning read up on DR optimization features/options that affect Timeline and Fusion playback, tweak as necessary.

Sometimes I prerender areas that will not change much to remove the need for resources on those areas. I definitely do this if I must have smooth playback amidst a fairly reader-heavy clip that can be safely prerendered (again, something that you are finished working on... or are okay with not editing at the moment... you can always swap out a prerender for original as needed).

If something weird and "buggy" seems to be happening, like media missing but the media is not missing, I will exit DR, manually delete my cache, restart and that often clears oddball issues up.

On one system, I have about 0.5TB free and sometimes my optimization settings are too high quality for the need and disk space unnecessarily gets very low... I exit, delete the cache and tweak my cache defaults.

Offhand, from your video, I'd say try purging cache, read up on the DR/Fusion optimization options, ensure you're not using "too much" of anything during playback.

Oh, maybe check out the DR troubleshooting FAQ: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=90190

GamerKitty Euphoric

PostFri Feb 23, 2024 7:31 am

Ashley Thomas wrote:In looking at your video closer, I notice you are using Fusion 3D with quite a few image planes... and I notice rendering is slow generally. I believe audio cutouts are normal in such cases.

I vaguely recall, not sure... that there's some option to prioritize whether audio can be skipped or not in situations like that (i.e., I think by default it will skip if audio won't sound good... but that may be adjustable, check docs or someone else can clarify).

I do a few things when having issues, depending on the issue. But generally, I will try to adjust optimization settings for the context, meaning read up on DR optimization features/options that affect Timeline and Fusion playback, tweak as necessary.

Sometimes I prerender areas that will not change much to remove the need for resources on those areas. I definitely do this if I must have smooth playback amidst a fairly reader-heavy clip that can be safely prerendered (again, something that you are finished working on... or are okay with not editing at the moment... you can always swap out a prerender for original as needed).

If something weird and "buggy" seems to be happening, like media missing but the media is not missing, I will exit DR, manually delete my cache, restart and that often clears oddball issues up.

On one system, I have about 0.5TB free and sometimes my optimization settings are too high quality for the need and disk space unnecessarily gets very low... I exit, delete the cache and tweak my cache defaults.

Offhand, from your video, I'd say try purging cache, read up on the DR/Fusion optimization options, ensure you're not using "too much" of anything during playback.

Oh, maybe check out the DR troubleshooting FAQ: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=90190

Yeah I've purged all caches and deleted them manually and it's not fixing it - my other comp has way more image planes and is cool, this one however is just presenting an issue no matter what I do with it
Link to NFO File https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1vZTDFIJdy2RPNNZ7qNijLBJ4aB9hzBqJ?usp=sharing

birdseye

PostFri Feb 23, 2024 8:24 am

Someone else had what appears to be a similar problem when trying to feed more than one audio file into Fusion. It looks like your render problem begins where the two audio files overlap on the edit timeline. What happens if you disable one of the audio tracks on the edit timeline? I'm clutching at straws here as I have never used Resolve.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=195914

GamerKitty Euphoric

PostFri Feb 23, 2024 5:23 pm

birdseye wrote:Someone else had what appears to be a similar problem when trying to feed more than one audio file into Fusion. It looks like your render problem begins where the two audio files overlap on the edit timeline. What happens if you disable one of the audio tracks on the edit timeline? I'm clutching at straws here as I have never used Resolve.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=195914

If I disable all audio tracks it still happens that's what I thought at first too. but even without audio (deleted from the project) it still does it.

Ashley Thomas

PostFri Feb 23, 2024 7:25 pm

You have probably already done this, probably obvious, but consider continuing process-of-elimination testing by removing burden from the rendering in as close to a divide-and-conquer manner as is possible.

For example, create a copy of the project for this test work so as to not hurt your original project. Make sure everything is backed up, all that. I export projects, back them up with media. Anyway, this is always a good first step.

Then do things like prerendering several files, or combining timelines into a prerender, things like that. This usually does not take that long. Keep going until you see the issue go away. When the issue goes away, step back and look for what might have caused the problem. You can even save revision Timelines/Comps along the way.

To get theoretical about it... if you can render the entire problematic timeline to a single clip, wrap that rendered clip in a timeline and play it without issue, it means something from your current point and that theoretical "burdenless render" point induces the issue you're seeing. This is most always the case... so I'm only making a point here as a way of leading into...

I find, for issues like this where standard steps do not resolve things, prerender is my friend. When I say prerender, this does not mean necessarily using the DR Prerender feature... you could... but you can also manually render via Deliver as a way of combining things into a rendered clip (aka a clip that prerenders tough portions of the timeline). I then import/use the prerender in the timeline in place of the original clips. Continue to do this until the issue goes away. It's sort of a way of reducing burden on the system and/or removing use of DR's features step by step as a way of figuring out what's wrong, whether user error or some system/DR issue. It's a great way to learn not only about an issue, but how to improve one's use of DR's visual effects and optimization features. Who knows, you might have run into a bug or something which you can report with specificity given your findings from the above research... if you can widdle things down, you'll solve the issue and/or it will most always be easier to analyze/fix/discuss/report.

Best of luck, hope you track it down.

Return to Fusion