Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Change DVR Fusion Comp Length?

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Timber

Change DVR Fusion Comp Length?

PostTue Feb 27, 2024 10:54 pm

I haven't yet figured out how to change the LENGTH of a Fusion Composition once made (DVR Studio, not Fusion Studio). Basically, I copy the node tree and make a new Comp of the right length. Also, I haven't figured out how to change the New Composition dialog from TC to frames?

Timber

Re: Change DVR Fusion Comp Length?

PostWed Feb 28, 2024 6:18 pm

Timber wrote:I haven't yet figured out how to change the LENGTH of a Fusion Composition once made (DVR Studio, not Fusion Studio). Basically, I copy the node tree and make a new Comp of the right length. Also, I haven't figured out how to change the New Composition dialog from TC to frames?

No answer, so I presume there is no way to change the length of a DVR Fusion Comp, just as there’s no way to update or relink a MediaIn node. What would be helpful would be a “Make Fusion Comp from this Clip” function, that would make a Fusion Comp the length of the clip, and hook it up to a MediaOut, the same as opening a Fusion Clip from Timeline footage.

Sander de Regt

PostWed Feb 28, 2024 6:55 pm

No answer just means that

a) people don't know if it can be done or
b) they do know but they didn't get around to checking the forum today
c) it can't be done

Since c) is the least likely of the options, I'd say give it a while for people to respond. This is a user-to-user forum and people come here in their spare time to share what they know. BTW I fall under category a) but I didn't think answering 'I don't know how to do this' was the most productive way to respond.
Sander de Regt

ShadowMaker SdR
The Netherlands

xunile

PostWed Feb 28, 2024 9:17 pm

I don't understand your issue. If you want to extend the length, drag the right side of the comp out on the Edit page to your desired length. You may need to adjust the keyframes back in the Fusion page unless you used the KeyFrameStretcher node or AnimCurves beforehand to handle the length change. If you are experiencing a specific issue stopping you from changing the length, it would be helpful for you to describe your difficulty and post some screenshots or a video demonstrating your issues.
Attachments
2024-02-28 (2) (Small).png
2024-02-28 (2) (Small).png (275.09 KiB) Viewed 722 times
2024-02-28 (3) (Small).png
2024-02-28 (3) (Small).png (81.68 KiB) Viewed 722 times
2024-02-28 (4) (Small).png
2024-02-28 (4) (Small).png (86.06 KiB) Viewed 722 times
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

Timber

PostWed Feb 28, 2024 11:00 pm

xunile wrote:I don't understand your issue. If you want to extend the length, drag the right side of the comp out on the Edit page to your desired length. You may need to adjust the keyframes back in the Fusion page unless you used the KeyFrameStretcher node or AnimCurves beforehand to handle the length change. If you are experiencing a specific issue stopping you from changing the length, it would be helpful for you to describe your difficulty and post some screenshots or a video demonstrating your issues.

I'm talking about Fusion COMPS, not Fusion CLIPS. Now, I could drop the Comp into a Timeline, and extend it as a Clip as you say, but changes made to a Comp turned into a Clip are then specific to that clip, and don't apply back to the Comp. Yes, it's confusing, especially because there's no indication in the UI which of the two one's looking at. IMHO the way it SHOULD be is that every time one opens the Fusion page from a Timeline Clip, a Comp should be created, and listed in the Media browser, which can be looked at without having to go through the Timeline.

Timber

PostWed Feb 28, 2024 11:07 pm

Sander de Regt wrote:No answer just means that

a) people don't know if it can be done or
b) they do know but they didn't get around to checking the forum today
c) it can't be done

Since c) is the least likely of the options, I'd say give it a while for people to respond. This is a user-to-user forum and people come here in their spare time to share what they know. BTW I fall under category a) but I didn't think answering 'I don't know how to do this' was the most productive way to respond.

My statement was a rhetorical trick to get people to respond. If I may say so, it worked :-)

xunile

PostWed Feb 28, 2024 11:29 pm

I am talking about Comps, as shown in my screenshots. No confusion on my part. I've been using Fusion for around 6 years. A Fusion Composition dragged to the Timeline is still a Fusion Comp. I guess you are referring to a Comp created by right-clicking in the Media Pool and choosing New Fusion Composition. I've never seen a need for creating them in the Media Pool. I drag a Fusion Composition from the Effects Panel to the Timeline, make the length I think I will need, and go from there. If I need to change the length at a later time, I do. If I think I will need multiple copies for later use I drag them to the Media Pool or a Power Bin. If you create a Comp in the Media Pool and drag copies to the Timeline, they are independent copies and aren't affected by any change made to the one in the Media Pool. If you want to change the Duration of the Fusion Comp in the Media Pool, you can't without dragging it to the Timeline.
Win 10 Home | Intel i7 - 10700f 64 GB 1 TB GB SSD 2 TB SSD
RTX-3060 12 GB | Resolve Studio 18.6.6| Fusion Studio 18.6.6

Win 10 Home | Intel Core I7-7700HQ 32 GB 1 TB NVME SSD 1 TB SATA SSD
GTX-1060-6GB | Resolve 17.4.6

Timber

PostThu Feb 29, 2024 2:08 am

xunile wrote:I am talking about Comps, as shown in my screenshots. No confusion on my part. I've been using Fusion for around 6 years. A Fusion Composition dragged to the Timeline is still a Fusion Comp. I guess you are referring to a Comp created by right-clicking in the Media Pool and choosing New Fusion Composition. I've never seen a need for creating them in the Media Pool. I drag a Fusion Composition from the Effects Panel to the Timeline, make the length I think I will need, and go from there. If I need to change the length at a later time, I do. If I think I will need multiple copies for later use I drag them to the Media Pool or a Power Bin. If you create a Comp in the Media Pool and drag copies to the Timeline, they are independent copies and aren't affected by any change made to the one in the Media Pool. If you want to change the Duration of the Fusion Comp in the Media Pool, you can't without dragging it to the Timeline.

A Comp made in the Media browser and dragged into a Timeline becomes a Clip - it's now basically an Adjustment Clip with an attached Fusion Clip - changes made to it do not migrate back to the Comp, and changes to the Comp make it a new clip - the Timeline isn't automatically updated as one would think it should. The only way I've found of extending a Comp without dragging it to a Timeline is to make a new one of the correct length and paste the node tree into it. Basically, this is a left-handed feature request.

Sven H

PostThu Feb 29, 2024 7:05 am

Simple answer. you can't. this has been requested numerous times.

however what you can do is adding the comp to the timeline, changing the length there, and then dragging this longer comp back to the media pool. you will get a new comp in the media pool now.

Timber

PostThu Feb 29, 2024 9:15 pm

Sven H wrote:Simple answer. you can't. this has been requested numerous times.

however what you can do is adding the comp to the timeline, changing the length there, and then dragging this longer comp back to the media pool. you will get a new comp in the media pool now.

Wow! Thanks! I had no idea one could drag a Comp clip back to the Media browser, making a new Comp (unfortunately same name). But I'm not sure whether this is a better idea than just making a new Comp at the right length and pasting the node tree into it? Other than maybe faster?

I'm still working through the many oddities of Fusion. Two days ago, same app version, I was able to use a Timeline containing same-dimensions footage and Color page work as MediaIn in a Fusion Comp, which is super-handy, of course (to run Color Stabilized timelapse footage as a Fusion source), but now DVR won't let me do that, and I'm wondering why? What the different conditions between then and now are? Just checked and I can still do it with the older project, but not the new. No warning dialog. Driving me nuts.

Return to Fusion