Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Possible Tracker issue in Fusion 18.6

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Thib75

Possible Tracker issue in Fusion 18.6

PostWed Mar 13, 2024 12:07 pm

Hi everyone,

I have just found a problem in Fusion 18 that’s really problematic for me and my team.
I didn’t find any related problem for the moment and I really think it’s a Fusion 18.6 bug because I do not recall any of this in the previous version, and we have switched recently.

I will link a short video re-creating this issue but here’s the problem I’ve encountered.

Step 01 :
Track some features in your shot, for this example let’s say 2
they will have their keyframes below the track center as usual
the two tracker will be named “tracker 1” and “tracker 2”
as far as it goes everything is normal.

Step 02 :
Let’s say you have a problem or another feature to track and you decide that for example, “tracker 1” is not useful anymore.
Select it in the “Tracker List” then delete it.
Then click “Add”, a new empty tracker appear and will be named “tracker 3”
use it as usual, as far as you don’t close the .comp everything is going to be fine the “tracker 3” will operate is function as it should, and if you check in the Spline tab it will appear named correctly : “TrackedCenter3(Tracker1Tracker3Patch1)”
Step 03 :
If you save your comp then re-open it you will see that the “tracker 3” no longer exists, it was automatically rename “tracker 1” in the “TrackerList”.
The problem is that when this happened, he completely lost the keyframe because the naming had changed.
in the “SplineTab '' there is still “TrackedCenter3(Tracker1Tracker3Patch1)” but it’s no longer linked to the tracker because of this auto renaming problem.

I hope this explanation was clear, we have tried to rename or recreate the “tracker 3” but nothing seems to work well and we are in a blur about this issue.
Most of our work in this current production uses a tracker so when we close .comp we lose the track that we were working on.

Thanks a lot for reading me and also thanks in advance if someone already has faced this issue or if someone has a workaround.

This would help us a lot !

Link to the problem in video : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Atmz-o ... sp=sharing

KrunoSmithy

Re: Possible Tracker issue in Fusion 18.6

PostThu Mar 14, 2024 12:56 pm

I was able to replicate what you show in the video and describe, and while I used Resolve Fusion 18.6 not a standalone Fusion, the results were as you show in your video.

I don't know if its a bug, missed feature or just the was tools is intended to work, but here is some possible clue.

In the Resolve Manual I found this: in regards to Planar Tracker.

— Point: Tracks points from frame to frame. Internally, this tracker does not actually track points- per-se but rather small patterns like Fusion’s Tracker node. The point tracker possesses the ability to automatically create its internal occlusion mask to detect and reject outlier tracks that do not belong to the dominant motion. Tracks are colored green or red in the viewer, depending on whether the point tracker thinks they belong to the dominant motion or they have been rejected. The user can optionally supply an external occlusion mask to further guide the Point tracker.

What the Planar Tracker Saves

While the Planar Tracker does save the resulting final track in the composition on disk, it does not save temporary tracking information such as the individual point trackers (compared with the Camera Tracker, which does save the individual point trackers). Some consequences of this include:

— The point trackers no longer appear in the viewer when a comp containing a Planar Tracker node is saved and reloaded.
— Tracking may not be resumed after a comp containing a Planar Tracker node has been saved and reloaded. In particular, this also applies to auto saves. For this reason, it is good to complete all planar tracking within one session.
— The size of composition files is kept reasonable (in some situations, a Planar Tracker can produce hundreds of megabytes of temporary tracking data).
— Saving and loading of compositions is faster and more interactive.

I would assume point tracker is acting similar to Planar tracker. It probably does not save all the information to save on how much information is written, after all we can add many trackers as we like to the Tracker list, so its probably similar to Planar tracker. As the manual explains what is saved and what is not.

Spline editor on the other hand, possible acts by saving information from when we work on the comp and reload it, but for whatever reason does not update to match the tracker list, assuming you have done the track already and tracker list is no longer needed for actual work. Hence spline editor behaves differently than tracker list. Keeping the original tracker number (Tracker01, 02 or 03) from saving and reloading session. That would be my guess.

If so, probably not a big deal since we already have tracked information saved in a spline editor. Any thoughts?

Return to Fusion