Jump to: Board index » General » Fusion

Looking for a way to control alpha output in fast noise

Learn about 3D compositing, animation, broadcast design and VFX workflows.
  • Author

Mixolydian

Looking for a way to control alpha output in fast noise

PostThu Apr 11, 2024 2:02 am

I'm trying to give a person a very diseased look, like they've just been poisoned. With a mask and a fast noise with some tweaking I can get almost there, but it still looks like a mask with noise on top of the face. So I need a way to control the alpha output of the fast noise node.

I know that the two color adjustments have an alpha setting, but setting this to lower than 1 doesn't achieve the same thing, it makes the colors brighter. It doesn't work exactly like an alpha control, since if you move the color sliders around, you can still see the result of that, when in theory you shouldn't see any chance if the alpha setting is at 0.

I tried adding a merge node right after the fast noise one, but none of the controls in it, including blend, alpha gain or even the transform ones do anything.

Under the Composite tool folder there are also Multimerge and Dissolve, neither of which do anything in this regard.

Is there a way to control the blend or alpha?

Ernest Skocdopole

Re: Looking for a way to control alpha output in fast noise

PostThu Apr 11, 2024 8:30 pm

A screen shot or copy/paste node structure helps to diagnose what you have done and possible recommendations.

Mixolydian

PostThu Apr 11, 2024 9:38 pm

Ernest Skocdopole wrote:A screen shot or copy/paste node structure helps to diagnose what you have done and possible recommendations.

Sure thing:

Note: the polygons in sequence are #1 for the face, then the others for the eyes and mouth as subtract.

Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 17.38.06.png
Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 17.38.06.png (136.05 KiB) Viewed 391 times

Bryan Ray

PostThu Apr 11, 2024 9:55 pm

Delete Merge1 -- it's doing nothing.

Probably you'll get the result you want from adjusting the Blend control in Tracker1's Settings tab
Bryan Ray
http://www.bryanray.name
http://www.sidefx.com

Mixolydian

PostThu Apr 11, 2024 10:20 pm

Bryan Ray wrote:Delete Merge1 -- it's doing nothing.

Probably you'll get the result you want from adjusting the Blend control in Tracker1's Settings tab

Merge is there because I spent hours trying to get a node setup that would make the layer with the mask move along with the tracked motion and I couldn't. So I copied the setup from another project where I had been able to do that, and that project needed a merge, so I figured I'd leave it there just in case.

Thanks for the tip, I will try that.

Return to Fusion